Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Castle Lake

984 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Flathead 
#1 ·
Thinking about putting the ole GPS to use, and hitting Castle Lake. Anyone ever been there? From what I can see the hike out won't be fun, but I have heard there are some big fish in Castle. Rumor is that it doesn't get a great deal of pressure, and the fishing can be good.

#6 ·
Just thought I'd add to this post after just returning from a 4 day trip to Castle Lake. It's been 12 years since I've been there last and boy has it changed. Mostly the growth of shrubs and vine maple. The route I take is from the Southwest end of the lake, following elk trails down to it. It took 4 hours to hike down to the lake due to the high shrub growth and not being able to determine if I was hiking towards a cliff. I finally found an alternative route down through a draw but finally made it. Fishing was great with most Rainbows between 12 to 14 inches and I picked up 4 fish in the 16 inch range. It really is a beautiful lake to fish but next time I'll probably leave the float tube at home. It came in handy but most of the fish were picked up around the shoreline. With all the logs in the lake it's easy to get out far enough to not worry about snagging on the back cast. Most fish I picked up where on a black Woolly Bugger with a red tail or Hare's Ear. There was a small mayfly hatch but not may fish working the surface.

The hike out only took 2 hours since I could see the route that I needed to take. I think next year I'll visit the lake a bit earlier in the year.

Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.