Catch and Release???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutpounder, May 5, 2012.

1. TonyZ

TonyZ Active Member

On the very rare occasion, I keep a planter from a stocked lake, I don't keep any from streams, ever, I want them there for me to catch the next time out, as I frequent my 5 favorite local streams on the regular.

Over the years I guess I have become soft and see their beauty, majesty, and the joy they brought me from the hunt as more important then 1/2 a meal a trout provides.

2. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    My wife and I eat fish 4-5 times a week, I wish I could say I caught them all. As for salmonids, I don't eat commercial farmed salmon or trout, I do eat hatchery fish I catch and pink salmon, plus all eastern brook trout I catch (it's been a while, though, for these great eating little fish). What I object to is folks taking a bunch of fish, throwing them in the freezer and 9 months to a year later throwing them out (this is the issue for folks who catch a bunch of lings or rockfish beyond what they will eat fresh). That is what rankles me.

3. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Like I said in my post, that is what they are for, to catch and eat, and it's one less hatchery fish that will spawn in the wild.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

To each their own.

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I seldom kill a fish of any kind. But there are exceptions. As other have said, the spiny rays reproduce very rapidly. I think they are tasty and it thins the school. I will take an occasional trout for the table but the last one was some years ago. I am not particularly fond of the taste of trout. Pan fish are another story.

Recycling fish leaves something for the guy behind you. I have seen rather large fish with several holes in their lips from C&R fishing.

I understand somewhat the British notion that you kill every fish you take, but I also understand that the more modern fishers are moving away from that theory.

But perhaps I am odd duck, because catching the fish is just a bonus. Being out on the water, watching the fly line do it's dance, watching nature around me, is what it is all abut for me. Sunny weather is a plus, but rain washes away some of the doldrums also.

6. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

I find the hatchery fish all taste like I'd imagine Purina Trout Chow tastes, and i've eaten enough fish in my day, I really don't like `em! Catching is great, but I'll release almost all of them.

7. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

Strictly catch and release. I think one would find high numbers over all that catch and release. I just figure that by releasing any and all will off set those that I see on w/ends in the mtns. or flats that have a dozen or so rods in the family and all are in the water with worms and catching more than the limit and we all know it happens.

8. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I catch and release everything except when my dad or grandpa puts a special request in. Then I will keep a trip or hatchery redband for them if it's over five pounds.

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Totally missed this reply... yum...home address and time for pre-dinner cocktails please :D

10. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

because they are damaging to wild stocks.. by killing every hatchery fish you encounter is is very likely that every so often you'll actually save a wild fish.

11. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Trout are for having fun with, salmon are for eating. I haven't purposely killed a trout in over 30 years. Now salmon, that is a different story. My brother has been known to jump out of his drift boat in the middle of the Madison to revive a poorly released fish. But in those days he knew most every one of them on a first name basis.

12. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I should qualify my original statement, I fish pass lake from time to time, and have never kept a fish and I believe those fish are stocked. So in reality I don't kill every hatchery fish I encounter.

13. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

It's not a sin to keep a fish or two. I just release them to try and balance out the "kill them all" crowd

14. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Hatchery fish should be removed from the system. Especially males. The Methow has a mandatory kill rule for a reason. As a matter of fact, there should be a mandatory hatchery kill throughout the state. Releasing those fish is very bad for the native populations. Hatchery practices are designed to either spatialy or temporally separate hatchery and wild run timing. Great in thoery, but hard to do effectively. There can be very high levels of introgression--which can have a negative effect on the fitness of future generations. Bonk away!

Evan Burck and Bryce Levin like this.
  15. Bryce Levin

Bryce Levin Active Member

Right on Derek, great post.