Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cedar report 6/9

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Miso Harney 
#1 ·
Well, made it to the Cedar again today, caught bupkus again...

Started up above Jones Rd (with someone who has had success on the Cedar). Nada. Tried another hole. Nada. And finally one more. Nada. Was fishing stonefly nymphs and lightning bug and FB PT droppers. Also tried a streamer. Still nuthin'.

So, if any of you think you can catch a fish anywhere (river wise that is), take me with you and see if you can still catch 'em. Seriously, I can't buy a fish in a river any more. Oh well, guess I'll stick with my pursuit of Tiger Muskies in Green Lake...

Willie

#4 ·
bhudda said:
i slayed big sucker fish allday, on purpose too,and had a blast on the 4wt.

bhudda
Bhudda I'm on the same thrill ride you are right now......wassup with the suckers, they are HITTING, not just getting in the way of a drift!

Silver, they were hitting itty bitty size 18 whitebead black/white stripe snowcones and size 18 clear glass bead chironomids w green/black or red/black bodies. I'm talkin' "coming up and yanking the indicator down" type hits......fun on a very light rod.......they must think they are trout.

#7 ·
as far as a goto fly, i think any nymph will work, they were taking stones, princes were a favorite, and they were really tracking these flies. the funny thing was that while people walked by they thought i was fighting the biggest trout in the cedar! the suckers were breaking water, lil jump here , a thrasher there. it was all good fun on the 4wt, 98% of the hook-ups were inthe mouth. beats fishing for pressured trout right now. i think they are a good fish to learn nymphing with, they dont move much, you can recast your drift line and they'll still be there,aint goin nowhere. have fun in the city of renton:)

#8 ·
so it sounds like if you get right up in thier grill you can get them to suck down a nymph. I gotta go back now because the ones i saw were in the 15-20 inch range. I always thought suckers were just that- bottom sucking algae eaters.

I guess knowing is half the battle

#9 ·
they can actually move farther than you think when they want something......many moons ago when the Cedar was open for gear I saw a guy taking them near the mouth on worms under a cork and they took it down with a loud "schproink" noise.

but yeah, drift it into their holding lane and you should do well. I catch a lot more on smaller nymphs........sumpin to do between trout hits. They do take the same bugs......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.