Cedar report

CovingtonFly

B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again
Danielocean, the bugs are probably gonna be different from the Yakima to the Cedar. Generally I think the hatches are different from river to river and especially so with the Cedar and the Yakattack being on different sides of the state.
I like to fish streamers on the Cedar. I've also used a yellow sally late in summer.
I'm probably one of the worst guys trying to identify bugs and match the hatch.

Hey guys, I am new to this way of life so please do not throw a rock at me for asking this question. When I read a report for a river such as the Yakima, and I look at the part of the report that shows the types of bugs that are hatching, can I use that as a basic reference for what kind of flies to bring to the cedar river?
Blue Wing Olives have always done me well on the Cedar ... so have EHC

Stew

I fished the Cedar last night.. Had plenty of fish on a size 18 baconfly, but had to upsize to a size 14 moosesack to catch anything over 14 inches.

I'll be back on the water tomorrow. Water is nice now, nearly perfect.

Interesting reports. I plan on being there Thurs.the 11th with a bud. I have always had luck there fishing the oddest way. No deaddrift but a big stone nymph with rubber legs and holding it in the current moving it back and forth under structure. Nails them every time. Completely unnatural. Doesn't seem to work anywhere else.

Hmmm, I wish I knew the mile post. I usually fish off the bike path in a few spots in the lower area. I am really showing a buddy the river who wants to pontoon it.

He has an HD camera and we have been documenting bugs, flies, fish and with the underwater housing the release as well. Hopefully for a future video.

PM me. I'll bring my scotch as well:thumb:

Hey guys, I am new to this way of life so please do not throw a rock at me for asking this question. When I read a report for a river such as the Yakima, and I look at the part of the report that shows the types of bugs that are hatching, can I use that as a basic reference for what kind of flies to bring to the cedar river?
Yes you can, the Cedar has mayfly and caddis hatches, Stick to the basics, adams, nymphs, EHC. If you tie get creative

Fished the Ceed again today. Reelucky you are totally on the right page with the "drag and drift"...crazy but effective. iagree I've done the best for the bigger fish with large Crane Fly imitations skittered through bigger water and under overhanging brush. Fish on.

btcs

Ok, so the Cedar frustrates me...can someone provide me with a good access point. Has there been break-ins this year. I got broke into three years ago and havent been back... Your help is much apreciated. Thanks!

I don't know if there have been any fishing-related break ins yet this year, but I can pretty much guarantee that there will be.

There is lots of access. Study some maps, draw some circles on it and go explore them. There are roads and trails all along the river.