Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cedar River Hallelujah

876 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  skyriver 
#1 ·
My fishing gear is near and dear to my heart. This is mostly due to the fact that I just can't afford to upgrade or replace my stuff. So it was of great agony and heartbreak that this past Saturday, due to my foolish ego, and fast moving water, that my beautifully built 5wt. and Ross Reel found themselves careening down stream and into a deep pool, leaving me crushed, confused, and laughing one of those "I can't believe this happened to me" crazy laughs. (This incident happened about 3/4 of a mile down from Landsburg. ) So my buddy and I bushwacked back up to the trail, walked back to the car, and headed downstream to fish somemore (he had a spare rod). After a few cold ones and great day of casting flies to invisible fish, we headed to his his place for some dinner. The thought of my gear being held captive by some stupid white wash at the bottom of a pool really began to eat at me. So, with a wet suit and goggles in hand my friend and I made the short trip back to the rapid and pool. Man that's some cold water! Fortunately the wet suit didn't fit me, so my buddy had to do the honors. After several attempts, it became clear that my rod & reel were no where in view, but he did see some fish, so we decided to end on a good note and finish the day angling. We caught a couple of dinky little fish, me with a fly rod and him with a his spin gear. As I reeled in to head out, my friend made one last cast into the pool. With great joy and jubilation he held out "Look what I caught!". Up from it's water grave, arose my rod & reel, saved by a rooster tail. A miracle. Who says God doesn't answer prayers, eh?

(Sorry if this was long winded, but I just had to tell it)

See less See more
#3 ·
dude, I lost a bright, grill-worthy brat 7 years ago on the Skagit on one of those nasty, rainy, miserable winter days when a 12" whitefish would have been a welcome sight....to make a long story short, I had the nice fish right to the driftboat and he came unbuttoned right as my bud reached out with the net........I had a couple snorts of Scotland's finest in my veins (to combat the cold and add some jolliness to the proceedings mind you) and in a rare fit of terrible-twos-tantrum rage I threw my rod into the river..........I had been O-for-the-year that year and this was my first hookup in months. Of course I felt like a complete silly ass after I did that.........but my bud chucked a big weighted spoon out on his spinning rig and sure enough, snagged my rod and brought it to the boat. Sniff...I get misty-eyed just thinking how good that felt......

thanks for the cool story, glad you got your stuff back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.