Cedar River Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Decker, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

fishAK and i fished the cedar yesterday. my first trip to the river and we had fun. we caught a few whopper 9" fish and fishAK got a sweet 14"er, but the trip was made for me when i hooked a big fish just upstream from the library. the fish pulled like a freightliner and stayed on the other side of the river. eventually my net-man showed up and we got the fish to our side of the river. finally got to where i could see it, easy 25" fish. got closer:mad: monster lunker sucker or whatever. fought great on my 'boo rod(first fish i've caught on my gramp's rod) but oh well just a sucker. i thought for a while i had a monster bow on, but that was not to be.

2. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Zen: While I speak for most, I would assume, in enjoying your exploits; I have to say that you've become somewhat of a hater lately. Let's face it brother, you catch a lot of fish, you catch a lot of fish and post them all on this board. Not all of those fish would be the most "sporting" for some members of this site (being more traditional fly fisherman). When you do post these pics, you have caught a little heat in the past, but are pretty good at brushing it off. Different strokes for different folks, right? Now, I've notice you in this "fishing police" type mode and it surprises me. Once in a while, like in criticizing friends and family, it's just better to follow that golden rule (you know the one).

Lighten up my man, do not succumb to the dark side....:beer2:

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Zen if you're going to post a pic of a 24 inch fish, which I doubt that fish is;), at least do yourself some justice and post a respectable steelhead pic. That fish looks like hell. :D

4. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Just a side note.
    For everyone who will be fishing the cedar this summer here is the number for the poaching hotline. Everyone should have it programed into their cell phones.

28 steelhead escaped last year on the cedar. We need to help keep poachers in check when we can. I think the extra eyes on the river is the only reason that fishing is remotely justifiable in light of this steelhead crisis. This of course assumes that the catch and release mortality will be less than the fish that would otherwise have been killed by poachers.

1-800-477-6224

5. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Way to go Zen! Nice way to represent the US Youth Fly Fishing Team in a Public Forum.

Bill Dodd.

6. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

I just appreciate it when somebody takes the time to post a report with pics. Nice fish...

7. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

8. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Thats actaully a rusthead- Idaho subspecies of anadramous rainbows.

9. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Nice cleavage shot, Zen.
    Ouch, I'm a Jerk.

10. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Jason, you should just post a picture of your first four knuckles and a ruler. That would settle it.

11. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Agreed wholeheartedly. Especially when it is a Cedar pig like this one ...

12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

My goodness, how do these things turn into pissing matches? Mine's bigger than your is...nah-nah. Is this really how we want to spend our time in this "community"?

I know for a fact that we can razz each other in a good way, what say we try that for a while?

Ya'll can take a lesson from Mingo on that. He knows how to swing with a smile and get one in return.

13. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Roper = Man of reason !! Mingo = Man of humor !!

14. draxler35

draxler35 New Member

So, where on the Cedar River is legal to fly fish? I am in Maple Valley and would like to try it, but I thought it was closed.
    It's not fishable along Highway 169 is it?
    Your help is sincerely appreciated.

15. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Teriffic report Jason and thanks for sharing. It's good to see that one doesn't need to travel to the opposite corner of the state in order to find nice fish. I used to have a more flexible work schedule and your report sure does make me miss it.

K