Cedar Today...Glad To Home In One Piece

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shadowcast, Jul 20, 2013.

1. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Worrying about being eaten by a black bear or a cougar in MOST angling locations is about as relevant as worrying about being killed by lighting or eaten by a shark.

Dogs are another f'ing story. Honestly mace/spray and a small (3-4" will do) knife is more than enough, but I certainly don't object to anyone carrying guns. But I agree, that in a piss you pants moment with a charging/snarling dog moment...you're likely to suffer marksmanship issues. Mace/Pepper is a cone of incredible discomfort, and easy to hit a moving target.

Should a dog latch on, a small knife should be sufficient to end the conflict, though not without some injury. But if you are actually attacked by a predatory mammal, injury should be expected.

If you completely lose your cool, you could have an RPG. It won't matter.

2. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Yeah I saw that research too--very interesting. It's spray for sure. A combat knife would be nice too, although if it came to that I'm toast anyway. Why wound it LOL?

3. David Dalan

4. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Good point. I found out first hand how important nerves are. 17yrs of competition served me well.

5. David Dalan

I just pee my pants :)

flyfool likes this.
  6. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

If I were a city boy, and my only exposure to the outdoors were WFF, I'd be certain that leaving the city is a death defying act. Sheesh. What a bunch of paranoia.

Stew McLeod likes this.
  7. bjgough

bjgough Active Member

Home Page:
    Guns and mace preferences aside, there is nothing you can do if you are attacked by a sharknado.

8. holtad

holtad Active Member

Thanks for the heads-up! I've been fishing in the area a bit and have only encountered the occasional dog, and none that seemed more bite than bark but I'm going to get some mace/pepper spray to carry just in case.

Was out last night and was able to land 5-6 fish, most were just the 6-7 inch doinkers but did find one rainbow that was around 14 inches. Perfect stuff for my new (to me) 3 wt rod.

9. scottr

scottr Active Member

1) I have never seen a bear or cougar on the Cedar but I did see a pile of bear scat on the trail last weekend. This was pretty close to where you saw the kitty.

2) I carry a 9mm or .45 Auto when I fish. I don't own a .44 magnum so in Montana it's a .45 Auto and Bear Spray.

10. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

Guys been watching Mutual of Omaha, Grizzly Adams reruns too much. Rarely will a ML attack, the only situation that may provoke an attack is if you run away. Most ML attacks are do to runners in ML country or kids on bikes... that's my experience. In the case you confront one, the best thing you can do is be aggressive, walk towards it and throw rocks sticks at it. And if you have to shoot one a .22cal will kill it in a heartbeat. In your situation it's surprises me that a ML would be in close proximity to large dogs, the only thing I can think of is it may have been retrieving cubs up a tree from the dogs in the area??

I've been on a few lion hunts and we harvested a couple of them. After getting a close look at the claws/teeth on these animals, they're impressive killing machines and I think in your case I'd rather take on a half domesticated dog than one of these lions.

10incher likes this.
  11. martyg

martyg Active Member

Fly - where did you encounter this cougar? Did it have kittens with it? Did you have protection? Feel free to PM the location to me if you wouldn't mind - especially if you think that there might still be kittens around.

I've seen web sites featuring wild cougars but no one is revealing locations to their secret spots!

flyfool likes this.
  12. scottr

scottr Active Member

From a few years ago, kitties like fish. Good thing the Cedar is C&R.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/may0703a/

13. 10incher

10incher Active Member

I use to wear a 10" blade bowie (before it was stolen) on a shoulder rig for fast access and to keep it out of the water. I'm currently carrying a more precious bowie that I made. But since it's tool steel I don't want to continue this practice. Water and non stainless blades don't get along. But the shoulder rig is trick. I cut the snapping lock strap off the sheath so access is instant (perhaps even with a cougar chawing on your head) yet the knife rides and rests very well behaved. I don't know if knife shoulder rigs are commercially available. I made mine.

Incidentally, I started carrying the knife because I was seeing too many mountain lions on the Ca. streams I was fishing. At the time I had a 13YO daughter (which means 13 to 15YO boys around) and I didn't want to get a firearm. I've actually shot my whole life. But that's how I know that there is no measure of safety up to the challenge of young teenage boys ;) So I got the knife instead figuring that I would most likely (at least) survive a cat attack as long as I kept it close.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  14. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Google/Bing, and the long afterlife of everything on the interwebs is why I won't use my real name on an open forum. Closed (to search engines) is a different story.

15. 10incher

10incher Active Member

Except that we don't generally fly fish in a thunder storm or where sharks are swimming!!! These are typically cited incidents. I'm reminded of the Steve Irwin accident. A lot of people came forward with the rare odds of being hit right in the heart by a stingray. What these statistics neglect is that if only one in fifty thousand people swim with stingrays, and one in a million people are stung... The odds of getting stung IF YOU SWIM WITH STINGRAYS are one in twenty!!! Obviously no one is being stung by stingrays at Macy's!!! My point is, if you set yourself up in the right (or wrong) circumstances you are far more likely to become a statistic than anybody else. Many people fish where bears and cougars live. Awareness isn't just idle forum banter.

scottr likes this.