Centerpin rod/reel fly fishing.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

For Pete's sake, it's fishing, not an "Art Form"

2. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

I agree.

3. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Well ... agree to disagree? Just kidding. This has turned out to be a (minor) 'life experience' learning how to 'use' this 'bit 'o kit.' Spey casting? Read a book (well, I did have a great teacher in my early youth) and I was off and running (not well,, but off and fishing) in less than 30 minutes (yes, for you newbies, it IS that easy as all the 'single hander' 'rules still apply). This bugger is going to take some time and effort and practice!! (YIKES.) to get the basics down.

fae

4. longstick

longstick Member

Fred,
    If you need help I can get you casting in less then 30 min. It will take afew hours to a day to learn and cast most of the cast but I can get you started and show you the casts so you can practice. If you are ever near Puget Sound Fly shop I can meet you their and we can cast in the alley. Anil and I will be holding a CP class after the first of the year.
    Good luck
    Jake Zirkle

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Dear God, that's a great offer! Just wish I wasn't a 'State and a half' away (or if you will, about a 13 hour round trip drive). I'd take you up in that a 'New York Minute!'

That aside, can you recommend a DVD that covers the subject aimed at 'Luddites?'
    :>(

fae

6. longstick

longstick Member

We did a video for Salmon Trout and Steelhead/ GlLoomis called Center Pin Secrets. We have some guide buddies in Oregon on the Rogue that can get you started. Let me know if you head that way. I am not to good with the cities in Oregon, so I don't know how close you are to Medford.

7. RA40

RA40 New Member

It's pretty eay to do, the trick is to allow the reel to start spooling before the cast is made. Best cast is a underhand swing, don't try to cast as you would a bait caster or spinning rod, rather swing the rod from left to right or right to left with a underhand motion. Be sure to stop the reel from spinning long before the float hits the water, usually as soon as the weight/float reaches the highest point and begins to fall to the water.

The big advantage to centerpins vs baitcasters is the ability to drift bait or whatever your tossing in super slow water and still get a natural drift. Here in BC, Centerpinning as you call it, is not even remotely associated with fly fishing, more a cousin of bait fishing.

Good luck
    www.guidebc.com

8. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

My brother-in-law has your DVD, so I borrowed it and just viewed it. Pretty good explanation and demonstrations of how to do centerpinning. I can see how it can be very effective at getting some very long drag-free drifts, much longer than one could possibly obtain using fly fishing gear. You guys certainly demonstrated how effective this technique can be on those Kenai river rainbows. However, the casting technique looked quite difficult, definitely more difficult than spincasting or baitcasting. What I don't understand is why a spincaster or baitcaster can't just release the bail or spool to free line the float and do the same thing without having to invest in a centerpin rod & reel? What am I missing?

Rex

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Ashland is located about 15 miles down stream (towards Kalifornia) from Medford; closest bit of the Rogue (Tou Velle Park) is about another 5-7 miles 'up-stream' from the north end of Medford. One way or the other, about a 30-35 minute drive, most of it on the Freeway. Love to have one of the folks contact me (or give me their contact info) and 'Plan the Plan!'
    Fred

10. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Bingo! See my first problem (short/little line out/direction sucks) with my 'casts.' GREAT INFO ABOVE!

Fred

11. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Learning to cast a center pin, at least in my opinion, is really not very difficult. It just takes a little practice. Check this out: .

12. checkout the float fishing section on salmoncrazy.com . go back in the archives and check out the information there. and if u have any questions the pinheads will help you out.

13. RA40

RA40 New Member

Andrewl and others, that video is rediculous. Try this one, it is basicly what I was explaining. I have never is 30 years of using centerpins seen anyone cast like that guy on the video Andrew posted., Too funny.

14. longstick

longstick Member

The wallis is a most to know but there are two others you should learn as well. The bc style cast and the spinning side cast. Never learn the side cast unless you plan on using braided lines. A good pin fisherman can do a spinning side cast for days with never stopping to correct line twist. It is when a guy gets lazy and does not spin the reel enough that you will get twist. You will need these casts for fishing out of a boat and or during bank fishing. Just like in fly fishing you most over come and be deversed. Also like fly fishing the pull down is just a haul to get the reel to release line. For distance I often double haul if you will the line and really create more spin to the reel. There are lots of sites now showing quick videos on the how to of casting. As you will see if you want distance you need to practice and play with these cast and try new things to get distance. When I started there was not one video that showed a cast over 20 ft. I have a river that I guide on that I need to get out just alittle father and did not want to brake out the spinning reel. Good luck