Centerpin

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by candr, Aug 3, 2012.

1. shawn k

shawn k Member

And side drifting glo-bugs and beads under an indicator is fly-fishing.

2. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Rory you still fish less?

constructeur likes this.
  3. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Hey Candr, Its all good. I do like some mention... I swing the swinging water and then hit the small slots and areas where I cannot swing a fly with a pin or a bobber and jig. I have found the centerpin really shines in water that is real slow and "froggy". With the spinning reel, You can hit a slot behind a rock 90ft away. With a pin that would be hella hard (at least for me). I prefer to pin/jig than to use a bobber on a fly rod and then call it "flyfishing". I guess it is comparable to guys I see in the fly only water with their spinning reels trying to "flyfish".

4. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I fish up north and before I got into flyfishing and then the spey I fished a pin for awhile...but for me, the gear just got boring..even with a pin....

I remember a good bud who works at M&Y up your way telling a young guy who came in and wanted to "Flyfish for steelhead"...He asked if the guy had caught any on gear? When the kid said "No'...He told him.."Go catch as many as you can and when you get bored and want something else to challenge you, come back and see me"....
    I think this gets missed a lot, especially around here...
    I fish how I fish because I enjoy and revel in the challenge it brings..slowly I'm finding I'm actually catching a fair number of them again and it's because of the skill of learning the fly...and that makes it even sweeter...

I had a pin rod built off a spey blank...It's not a big deal and this one is years old....Gloomis pin rods and lamiglass are very nice, I thought the sage ones were too much and kind of heavy...but again that was a few years back...

11_G.jpg

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  5. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I bought a rod for the grandkids to use as a "Pinner". A "Buzz Ramsey" Air model by Berkely(sp?). 11' noodle action. With 8# line, a clear float w/ red nail polish and a 3" berkley Powerbait worm, my grandson hooked and lost one of the biggest Trinity steelhead I've ever seen last April. Chrome 12#'er. He was heartbroken. Nice action, about $80. Have a 9' medium action (8-12#) casting rod in the same brand/series set up to troll mini hotshots and weewarts for trout for the GKids, it's sweet.

6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Whats worse a a pinner or a tenkara addict?

7. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

8. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

i love these doctrinal threads. it's like reading the new testament. heretics come in, the pharisees go on the offensive, insults are hurled. then the heretics gather and validate their progressive heresies with the weak-minded masses, while the pharisees plot and built anti-beading websites. when will there be an official trial before the sanhedrin? i'm excited for the exorcisms to begin!

Seth Adams, kpl04 and Matt Baerwalde like this.
  9. candr

candr Daryl

Golfman - that's a sweet rod - Is that a Milner reel? He's a BC reel-building legend, particularly if you want a reel with bushings. I swing flies with guys who started out swinging spoons or fishing jigs and one thing I've learned is that they usually don't just fish the bar side of the run - if they can run a fly through the seam on the high bank side they usually do and they get a lot of fish on the fly in what is often considered gear water.
    Cool that a lot of guys are fishing this way as it really is a traditional west coast way to fish for steelhead particularly on the island rivers that are short, deep, and fast. Looking forward to giving it a try.

10. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

To take this further down the path of heresy, what advantage would I get from a centerpin rod over using a baitcaster to free-spool while using braided line?

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

you get to buy more way cool fishing gear!!!!

12. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Shit, sorry fellahs. Guess I misunderstood what WFF stood for. Never been good with acronyms...

Carry on.

13. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Pin rod, spey rod, singlehander, gear rod...just tools, kids. Tools to connect you to the fish (if that is the important part of your experience) or the river.

No need to get all weird when someone trots out the trotting reel...if you want to fish single-action stuff near the bottom on a dead-drift, there isn't a better way than a pin setup. I have a few custom-rolled Loomis drift rods and a hardy centerpin reel, but I don't fish 'em that much any more - after the first thousand fish or so, gear fishing gets a little old (at least for me). I much prefer the tight-line take now, and I groove on the casting portion of spey fishing...it is fulfilling in a way that merely pulling fish out of a hole isn't. But, if you NEED to catch fish (or learn where they live (emphatic nodding at highbrow tweedbags)), pin rods are pretty damn efficient tools at getting you all the way to the fish.

Fish what you want, how you want. Better yet, ask the fish what they prefer.

Bet you get some different answers there, and a little less acrimony.

14. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Home Page:
    In all truth someone who is good with a bait caster can get the same action that one could get with a center pin.

15. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

The biggest difference between the Steelhead section of WFF and the New Testament is that it is actually possible to devine the will of God from the Steelhead sub-forum.

I propose an Inquisition--far more effective than exorcisms.

May God have mercy on your souls.