Chicago guy looking for spey casting lessons in Seattle area

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by DBLTAPER, Jan 19, 2010.

1. DBLTAPER

DBLTAPER Member

I'M NEW TO THIS BOARD AND WANT TO SAY HI TO ALL YOU STEELHEADERS.I LIVE
    IN THE CHICAGO SUBERBS AND FISH THE GREAT LAKE TRIBS. I ONCE LIVED IN KENT,WA
    IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES AND LEARNED TO FLY FISH FOR STEELHEAD ON THE SKY. AT THAT TIME
    SPEY RODS WERE UNHEARD OF OR MAYBE JUST TO ME. I WANT TO RETURN TO SEATTLE
    FOR A VACATION IN THE SUMMER AND MEET WITH FRIENDS. WHILE I'M THERE I WOULD
    LIKE TO TAKE SOME SPEY CASTING LESSONS . CAN ANYONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?

THX.
    JOE
    ( DBLTAPER )

2. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

joe, you can start off by turning your caps lock off. its right above the shift button.

now, if you are on a budget, you really can't go wrong with visiting Mike Kinney or Aaron Reimer at one of the free spey clinics they run every weekend. Aaron @ Fall City on Sat and Mike @ Ben Howard on Sun. You can do a search on here, there are a ton of information.

Likewise, check out the directory of WA fly shops on this site. Most of these fly shops offer classes so contact them and see what they are offering around the time you are visiting.

Good luck.

3. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Joe, what he said is the best you can get. I spent two years in Mount Prospect in the late 60s Hated every minute. Can't believe what it's like now just seeing it from the air.

4. Don Barton

Don Barton Member

Joe

I enthusiastically endorse Aaron Reimer at River Run Anglers in Carnation. I have taken lessons from at least 8 well qualified spey casting instructors and in my opinion Aaron is the best. He gives free lessons on Saturday mornings but he also gives excellent private lessons for an extremely reasonable fee. It is rare that the best sometimes is the least expensive but it is true in this case. You can contact Aaron at 425 333 4446 or at speybum@comcast.net.

But, I have no first hand experience with Mike Kinney. He has an excellent reputation too.

5. Mike Rupp

Mike Rupp New Member

Aaron is a great option. You can go to his free clinic on Saturday or take private lessons. If you are heading out for just a week, I'd just pay the piper and get a private lesson. Assuming that you have at least the basic fundamentals of single hand casting down, he could get you fishable with a two hander pretty quickly.

I lived in various parts of the Chicagoland area until 05 when I moved out here. I haven't regretted it for a second. Now when I head back to Chicago, I feel like an outsider. The only gripe is that the drivers here leave something to be desired. I was hoping that I'd learn to deal with it, but after almost five years I'm still impatient with the drivers here.