Chico Creek Reports

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by South Sound, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Jeff

Jeff Member

Sweet Mumbles... That sounds like a blast. I may need to go over and hit that up tomorrow.

-Jeff

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty much at the mercy of my schedule and fish when I have a spot of time. Remember, it rained like hell for the rest of the day and it was already murky. There were a bunch of guys targeting pods in the flat on very shallow spots and then anglers stacked on the bank of the creek from the orange marker until the land disappeared. I think yesterday the tide was on its way in when I arrived and I probably left as it reached high. There was one fly angler on the North side and he stayed there the whole time I was there. I think he hooked into more fish than any one else that I saw. I again saw a couple of fly anglers high sticking stacked chum in the very shallow riffles near the orange marker. They had tight lines a lot, but I'm pretty sure we all know why. If any of you are reading this, you should try a different technique. That is just my personal opinion. How much fun can there be in floating your junk through a stacked school in a foot of water and setting the hook each drift through? Anyway, to each their own, but that is not my style. I'd rather suck and be void of style. Good luck to those going out there, at least there are more fish. With some luck the spillage will slow and settle to make it a fair test once again.

3. Jeff

Jeff Member

Hey Mumbles, how busy does it get there... how many people are we talking?

-Jeff

4. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    got there around 330pm, really lame. hope its not over. will try mon.

5. Nick Metzman

Nick Metzman Member

went to chico today, completly dead.

6. Ed Call

Jeff, I'd honestly say 30 maybe 40 when really busy. The flats are the refuge of those seeking space. There is not much bank, but it gets packed.

7. Mike S

Mike S New Member

I was there today as well, 7AM to 1PM. Nothing unless you wanted to snag or floss the battered fish in the creek.

I worked the flats and parts of the creek, chum candy, purple, pink. Nothing.

Now Friday was another story..... I landed my first! Bright silver and fresh from the ocean.

Mike

8. Ed Call

Well done Mike S. I have seen what I believe to be acrobatic silvers in the estuary and a few mixed in the last holding pool before the creek. Good to see them there. Was it native or a dazed and confused hatchery fish that should have been elsewhere?

9. masu73

masu73 Member

Fished the flats in the bay yesterday from 8-11 am. Saw about 40-50 people out there. Only saw a few fish circling the bay. Saw two gear guys in the creek foul hook two moldy chum. They were so proud one of them was holding it up and showing it off to us as we were heading back to the car.

Heard that Fri during the storm hundreds of fish pushed through the creek. Hopefully the chum fishing gets better later this season.

10. Rev Trout

Rev Trout Rev Trout

Thinking of taking my son to Chico Tuesday. Any chance the water will clear (is that the problem?) or should I head for Hoodsport for some combat fishing? I'm driving from Yakima & I want to give him a fair chance at a fish or two -- we only have the one day to do it. Last year at Chico was great.

Thanks!

11. Ed Call

Reverend, I'm no expert, but it seems that with the better weather late Sunday and most of today Tuesday could be decent to try. There is a storm coming, actually two, a minor warmup then one that is supposed to be significant rainfall and associated winds. That cycle should begin Tuesday and proceed through late Wednesday or Thursday. It might be pleasant for the weekend but the damage could be done by then.

12. Rev Trout

Rev Trout Rev Trout

Thanks for the info Mumbles. I think we'll give Chico a try tomorrow.

13. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Sun. the clarity was much better and it cleared even more while I was there, the fishing was pretty sucky though, alot of fish moving around in the morning but I only saw 1 hookup, a guy in a boat out in the deeper water, I caught nothing and that seemed to be the story for everyelse alot of people came and left without any love, the fish just weren't aggressive hopfully this will improve.
    tony

14. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Hey Rev Trout,

Where you down at the Hoh River back in March with your son?

15. Rev Trout

Rev Trout Rev Trout

I’ve never had the pleasure to fish the Hoh. Like to some day.