chico netting schedule.........?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by mr. bad example, Nov 7, 2010.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Tony,

All good info, thanks. I got the impression from talking with some people that their nets were out everyday. My wrong. I can live with two days a week. Perhaps I pulled in on the wrong day. Ha. I know a lot of the tribes do good work, don't misunderstand me. I used to know the biologist with the Suquamish Tribe, not sure if he's still there, but was really a good guy for the tribe to have. I've had two poor experiences this year with other tribes that always get to me. And perhaps I should pursue going to their fisheries directors just to get some answers and/or write some letters. One thing that still drives me crazy is I believe they can still catch and kill cutthroat. (Someone tell me if I'm wrong--in the salt that is) It's the beach seining that drives me crazy when I am out cutthroat fishing and their nets are strung from the top of the beach on down thru the shallow water into the depths. Someone tell me if it is unreasonable to ask the tribes whether they can eliminate the beach seine net for the first 100-150' or so, so the cutthroat can swim along the beach shoreline and PERHAPS not get caught in their nets! Since it is "catch and release" for me, why isn't it so for the tribes? (except it's too late when in the nets). A few years ago, a tribe was netting like this and I also found out that they were suppose to be 1000' from the creek mouth. They were not. I called the tribe enforcement officer and he called me back and said he "busted" them for whatever that means. He was very polite. So, a couple of weeks ago, a tribe on the same beach was at the same location. I asked whether he was suppose to be 1000' from the creek mouth and he said no, it was changed to 600'. I have no idea if that is true or not. Or, if it depends on the tribe. This was the S'Klallam Tribe (if I spelled that right). Previously, it was the Skokomish Tribe. I can say my encounters were very good and polite conversations. Another case this Spring was fishing a catch and release lake. A tribe member and his buddies were killing trout. I asked about it to them and they said they are members of the tribe and those rules didn't apply to them. I think that was a lie, but I am not certain. I guess all I am saying is it sure doesn't hurt to have some conversations with people when you want to know if they are following the rules, sorta helps that they might think that there are actually people watching them to see if they are following tribal rules and regs.

2. Eastern Shore

Eastern Shore New Member

Hi all, new to the thread. I used to fish out there alot in the late 80's. The coho in Dyes will stage in a different spot every year, sometimes in front of a 4 inch drain pipe, sometimes south of the Chico boat launch. I hope the few coho that came in this year avoid becoming bycatch. Also, the last legal netting I remember was around 1990. I also recall a doped up Erlands Pt guy getting caught by the tide, then by the law with his net out. Same family that was involved in clamscam. Sorry about the rambling, that area holds a place in my heart. Good luck with the mighty gators. And watch tout for the Silver Mist

3. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

The tribes make there own rules and decide on how they want to deal with tribal members caught poaching. As for the cuttroat it does not matter if they are a loud to keep them or not. When they are netting the beaches they are caught whether they are targeted or not and when a fish gets caught in a net survival is not likely. Netting is an out dated way of fishing that can no longer be used in puget sound with the fishes best interest. A fish that swims into a gill net is as good as dead whether it is a 22" sea run cutthroat, a wild steelhead, summer run chum or blackmouth in the salt, end of story. If the tribes cared about the fishery they would use a selective fishing technique like our fishing regulations tell us to do. ( Barbless hooks and release fish with an adipose fin)

4. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

It's been a couple of years since I last fished Chico Creek. Anyhow, you might find this interesting: http://wdfw.wa.gov/webmaps/salmonscape/sasi/full_stock_rpts/2251.pdf

5. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Home Page:
    Just an observation.... Be careful when putting all tribes in the same catagory. Like all of humanity there are good tribes and bad when it comes to conservation. That is why it is such a mess trying to get a consistant message regarding any conservation issues on the table. From my obsrevations, the Suquamish Tribe has been one of the leaders in habitat restoration. I am sure that Paul Dorn, fisheries director, would be happy to discuss the multitude of projects that they have completed in the on the west sound with anyone who is interested.

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Is it really so much better that a crowd of sports anglers all gathers at the mouth of Chico Creek and flogs away at the fish returning there?

7. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Andrew thanks for the info I looked and couldn't find any real data its nice to know that what I was told is true. I don't have any involvement with the tribes but you know what I get really sick of people jumping all over the tribes as a whole just because of the abuses of a few in fact I think that anyone that would make statements on the web attacking or using the actions of a few to paper an entire group to be total asswipes and just so theres no confusion Jonathan, Ron you have now been flamed "just say'n"

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Tony, very good point. Just like one fly angler that posts up in a run or one guide that runs laps through a pool. That one should not be used to judge the whole group. There are tribes that are very focused on sustainable run returns and others, it seems, more interested in the financial payoff today. Many of us tend to generalize far too much about things we don't fully know or do ourselves and come across as very judge mental.

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I agree. And Paul Dorn is the biologist from the tribe I was referring to. Great guy that has helped the Suquamish Tribe for many years.

10. Jeff Peacock

Jeff Peacock Member

Friends, I will tread very carefully here.
    I agree the netting practices of some individuals at the Chico estuary are not conducive to a strong and sustaniable fishery.
    I also agree with the idea of engaging the tribe in a conversation about this.
    Please remember that individuals, whether they are tribal or any other group, may not always follow the rules and it would be a big mistake to lump all within a group together, (do white snaggers represent all white fisherman?)
    Paul Dorn has an outstanding reputation within both the Suquamish tribe and amongst state fisheries officials. He definitely has some influence; however....
    if there is a desire to engage the tribe in a constructive conversation about a long-term sustainable fishery at Chico, I'd bet a lot of money they would eagerly pull up the the table as generation after generation of Suquammish have relied on the fishery, and very few have more of a long term interest in maintaining a healthy fishery than the tribe.
    The tribe can be great partners in such an endeavor, if they feel the interests of those they are talking to are sincere in a mutual interest in maintaining and enhancing any fishery.
    I might suggest a one-on one conversation with Paul Dorn, (I think he will be very supportive and helpful in a bigger conversation), but that bigger conversation might well need to be with the Tribal Council. They are the soveriegn governments voice, and a respectful request to them for a conversation may generate some exciting results.
    It may be out of line, but it would also be interesting to hear Preston Singletary's thoughts on this.

11. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Does anyone know how long the Suquamish or anyone else have been netting in that area? I'm talking in years, or is this a new thing?

12. Jeff Peacock

Jeff Peacock Member

:beathead:

8, or 9 hundred years,,,,,,,,at least.

13. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Tony you are absolutley right lumping all tribal fisherman together is not right and my post probably could have been written better however I do believe that anyone fishing with nets in Puget sound, tribal or non tribal is not doing the fishery any good unless they can be absoulutly sure that they will only catch their targeted species of fish. Nets do not discriminate between hatchery fish and wild fish. Or other species of similar size for that matter.

14. Eastern Shore

Eastern Shore New Member

I remember 89 or 90 but since then I don't know. The orcas of 97 did well too. Note Andrews pdf, makes me think it was89. Anyway, not every year, that is why the run has had epic returns. But you all know that anyway. BTW not one coho or chum jumping in Dewatto Bay today, so sad. Tony, I agree that the Suquamish should not be lumped in with say the Skokomish. Anyone who has fished from Lone Rock to Bald Pt. knows what I am saying.

15. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Lol. Take that answer and then look at the numbers in the salmonscape pdf that was posted and you'll see the point I'm getting at...:thumb: