chiro fishing in the fall?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by dp, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    OK, If you make it down this way next Spring, after the seasonal lakes open, I have a lake in mind that you'll like. Bring your wetsuit, since I have a couple of extra surf sticks in my quiver that are just right for someone getting back into the game.
    Otherwise, I've been wanting to go camp at Discovery Pass and fish all those lakes up there that I keep reading about here.

2. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

I catch fish on "mids year round. You just need to move to smaller sizes in colder weather, use a pump to determine size and color, and adjust your depth if you are not having any luck. Also, dont be afraid to move to smaller sized leaders and tippet as well. You might experience more breakoffs but you will hit more fish.

Steve Kokita likes this.
  3. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Ditto on what ryfly said! I use 6X or 7X chironomid fishing and have landed large fish. Just keep it at least 14" long so it has some stretch to it. The fish have a long time to examine your flies so light tippet makes sense. Send me a pm ryfly, we'll have to hook up and go bobber fishing sometime!

4. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

As you see, this time of year fishing with Chiros get tricky, don't waste you time. You'll just get cold sitting there anyway. I would stick with leeches or nymphs.

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I will always try Chironomiding. Rivers I like the Zebra Midge. Nice thing about stillwater is I can use BIGGER mids.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes it is slower in the colder months, but it can also surprise me. I do fish under an indy a lot, but also use a Type VII.

triploidjunkie and Jeff Dodd like this.
  6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Or you could put in a little effort, learn how to fish vertically, and catch way more fish. The fact that it gets tricky shouldn't scare anyone away from suchaan extremely effective method of fishing

7. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Wait, extremely effective? Nick, are you sure you aren't just being greedy? ;)

I will definitely be fishing vertically this winter. I need practice and patience, but I do believe it's an effective way to fish.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  8. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I should clarify that I'm not claiming any one method is more effective. Rather I just think it does am angler well to learn as many methods as they can. Just another tool in the toolbox, so to speak

Definitely not advocating greediness!, lol

9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Most of my big winter fish are caught with a #14 snowcone under an indy. Usually in ten to twenty feet of water. It is a gigantic tailwater, so the water stays a little warmer in winter.

10. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

ryfly need to go fishing with that Steve (the bobber guy also better known as the Famous Japanese Flyfisherman) he has taught me a few thing I used to think indy fishing was boring until I met him as Nick says it never hurt to have one more option to catch fish when you drive 100 miles and leave with one fish trolling.

Note: Bring Crown and he may just break out his fish taking Balance San Juan and give you one

Jeff Dodd, Steve Kokita and Blue like this.
  11. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

You'll enjoy chironomid fishing with me and Lue! We always have a blast on the water! Plenty of beer, bobbers, bamboo and laughs! Some fish too!:D

12. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Steve won't fish with me anymore, he got tired of me out fishing him ;) But haven't you heard, we are not fly fisherman, because we use indicators.

Steve Kokita likes this.
  13. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

HA HA...you're a funny guy Ira! The real reason is I can't afford to keep you in beer! And yes, we use bobicators. :eek:!!

triploidjunkie and Irafly like this.
  14. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

When I first started fishing with Steve he taught me to indicator fish I immediately went out and bought those Rowly bobbers got a batch of defective ones I thought because the next time Steve and I was at well known lake fishing my indicator kept going down and popping up it just would not stay down Steve was quick to solve my problem he said HEY DUMMY!! lift the rod when you see the bobber go down my reply I was waiting for the fish to take it

Jeff Dodd, Irafly and Steve Kokita like this.
  15. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Yep, as I often say, "If it is bobbing you are doing it wrong!" That's why elitistly prefer indicator.