Chironamid Fishing... Sunday the 23rd

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chef, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Chef

Chef New Member

Would love to take the floating line out and just focus on chironamid fishing and learning the technique. Looking to fish on the 23rd of this month. Open to lakes but leaning toward Martha Lake. Easy drive, nice little lake.

anyone?

I know it is a ways out and it will depend on weather and such.

2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Chef, a few questions for you. Are you going to be in or on a boat? Do you know how deep you will be?
    I typically fish about one foot off the bottom. Sometimes up to 30'. A slip indicator. I would probably try Black with white rib right now or a blood midge.
    Stay in touch on this. It is my favorite style of fishing (next to dries ;-) )

3. Pick up the DVD by Brian Chan about fishing stillwater. He'll cover floating, intermediate and full sinking lines and also show some ties you'll want to have in your collection. While it may seemingly appear to be trivial, there is a complex word in a lake and Chironomid fishing is the way to go if you want to effectively catch fish, and lots of fish. Most of the guys in WA aren't as hardcore as our BC bretheren who have dialed in this effective method of fishing.

4. Chef

Chef New Member

I cant wait to give it more of a try. Leaving the other gear at the house which will force me to learn this. I will see if I can get the video and watch it.

Blue: I dont know how deep the lake is but I will test it with the hemostats and adjust. Cant wait to give it a try!

I will be from my pontoon. Need to hook the anchor up. I tried choronomide fishing yesterday but didnt have an anchor and to be frank, didnt know what the hell I was doing (Ira: I am workong on this! :) )

5. gdbrill

gdbrill Tight Lines

6. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I agree, Chan and Phil Rowley know Chironomids. I also fish a Type VII and drop then lift very slowly. That works great if you don't have sonar and not sure the depth.
    Both of them use and sell these slip indicators for floating line. Plus there was a special on one of our local channels in which Chan explained how he uses the floating line and Indicators.

Just so many choices...LOL

7. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Joni,
    Does Utah have pretty good lake opportunities?
    I know most of your rivers are top notch.

8. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I think so. We have THOUSANDS of lakes in the Uinta's. And, you can find Grayling and on rare occasions Goldens in them.
    Bunch of 30+" Cutts and Rainbows coming out of Strawberry.
    I can hit a lake in any direction I go in an hour or less. I live in the City of the Salt.
    The Stillwaters are still ours, unlike our rivers :-(

9. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Chef:

I'll see what I can work out on this. What brought on this interest in bobber watching? Could it have been yesterday?

MB

10. Chef

Chef New Member

Scott: I have always believed in being well rounded, especially in my cooking life. For me, it is about understanding all of it and that means learning how to troll, strip and using a strike indicator. Just like places to fish, i plan to learn on lakes, then add something else like rivers to the mix. I want to learn as much as possible. When one method doesnt work, I need to know how to do another method.

It was great seeing everyone out yesterday using different techniques.

11. Chef

Chef New Member

Good artical. Now I need to practise it! :)

12. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

Count me in Chef, I can make it to Martha easily. I will have to tie up some Cronomids for it...but there is time before the weekend to do so ;)

13. Mark Horwath

Mark Horwath Member

Chef I would go to lone again I think your odds are much better,plus you know the lake better.Just a thought.

14. guitarfisher

guitarfisher Jeff W.

:thumb: As a native Utahn, I second Joni's comments. The Uinta's, the Boulder's down south, the sub-alpine reservoirs... the stillwater opportunities are endless. And I also miss deep-water nymphing for nice browns on the Provo, Weber and Green rivers. Go, if you ever get the chance to get there.

15. Chef

Chef New Member

Mr Coachman: I would love to go but the fairy fee is costly.