Chironimide Fishing: Breaking it Down for "Dummies"

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chef, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Weren't you giving someone else unsolicited shit when you brought up the debate in the first place? I throw a little your way and notice how you took it? Do you imagine that the other poster might have taken your post as offensive? If you said "No, how could they!", then how could you take mine offensively? If you said "Yes!", why did you mean to offend them in the first place? Either way I didn't mean to offend I was mearly pointing out the difference between a bobber and a strike indicator and pointing out to you that if you believe the two are the same then you should let your indicator bob.

Dude I'm not an A-Hole just ask around.

Ira.

2. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

you're pretty chill from what i can see

3. Chef

Chef New Member

I'll vouche for Ira. Great guy. Helpful indeed.

Ira: did you say you were coming out on Sunday? :) I FINALLY learned the loop knot you taught me. took a while to get a hang of it.

4. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    so, which loop knot....SHARE TIME

5. ribka

ribka Active Member

non slip uni-knot

6. ribka

ribka Active Member

Over 12 ft I go to intermediate ( clear mono) or full sinking. Use a depth finder. After some practice can get proficient on how much to let out ( trolling) and speed combo to reach desired depth. Have fished to 35 ft this way with success. You can can stick with your "bobber fishing":rofl:

7. mojo

mojo Member

I deep chirono fish two ways. 1. With floating line, straight 6# or 8# flouro and a slip indicator/bobber/float/corkie/florescent orange foam ball with a hole in the center for a plastic peg 90% of the time. Call it what you want, but it does the same thing. Catches me fish.
    I fish it like Joni does, up to 30' deep. Can't cast it, so I drop it down and kick away about 20'+/- a few and watch the paint dry (it's usually very quick drying paint). Using a sonar for that area, I measure out the length I need and bring it off the bottom 18" or so with the bottom fly. I use a Gamakatzu dropper bead for the top fly, and a split shot to get it down and keep it down- 6" above the bottom fly.
    http://www.gamakatsu.com/new_products/new_dropperbead.htm

#2- I also use the Type V or VII sinking line method. 6' flouro leader, find my depth and measure off that much line. Cast it out and let it sink until it's straight down. Slow figure 8 retrieve. This is one method I get savage strikes.

8. ribka

ribka Active Member

micro leech under a bobber has been known to work quite well too ( hint). I throw a micro leech with a chronie trailer sometimes

9. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

As far as I can tell upon a reread of my post it wasn't really directed at anyone it was just a comment about indicators I guess if your name is indicator you might in some way feel offended by my comments, so my statement stands.
    tony

10. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Try again Tony, you were replying to Zagnut's #17 post when he asked people polietly to please not call strike indicators bobbers. So your statement really does not stand. Just sayin.

Ira..

11. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I have never seen that bead before, I may just have to give it a try, although I have for the most part developed my cast in a way to avoid the tangle.

Ira..

JDFly likes this.
  12. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

OK thanks guys for your help!

On a normal day when you are fishing chironimides how many will you use on your fly line? Like will you use the little chain of flys? all tied off of each other? (if you know what i mean)

13. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

In Utah we are only allowed two, so that is what I use, but I do a tag about 2' to 3' up from the bottom one.

14. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I've tried three, but that just seems to gum up the works. Two seems to work best but most of my fish come on my bottom bug.

Ira..

15. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I mostly fish with just one, If I use two the distance between them is at least 18" to 24", That way no foul hooking of the fish as I have seen happen when the distance is around 12". my 1.5 cents worth.