Chironomid fishing a deeper location?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ed Call, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Okay, I'll ask a pretty dumb question here. When fishing a floating line in a deep location and using chironomids and an indicator/bobber/float how do you negotiate that indicator on the line? I'm thinking in depths like 30 feet or so, reeeeealy long leader and indicator? How can you reel that in if the indicator gets to the tip and you have a lot of loooong leader left. Do you switch lines? Sinking line and high sticking? Inquiring minds of dumb asses need to know. Thanks.

2. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

A. Dont fish water deeper than 15 feet and you wont have a problem :thumb:

B. If you must, use a long leader and a quick release strike indicator. When the line pulls tight, they can move freely up and down the leader.
    -Ethan

3. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Other option is fish sinking line slow until its straight up and down.. then wait! Quick release I's work for me to!

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

I like the frog hair indicators. They slide the full length of the leader and work great for deep chrono fishing.

5. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    I agree with Ethan. Get a few of these quick release indicators, essential for your chironomid tool box. A good depth sounder is also essential, but I still like to cross check my depths with hemostats on the fly and drop down 1 above the bottom. Depending on the muck, and the thermocline and where the fish are you might have some luck! Going deep is sometimes the best choice when its super sunny, warm or the fish are actively feeding on bloodworms. The only challenging part is casting a 30+ leader and junk! Good luck Ed

6. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

hand over hand your leader :D

7. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

I agree with Ethan and Yellowlab. When the fish are keyed into chironos, I have two rods set up:
    1. Dry line with up to about 18' of leader-tippet-fly. I use a quick-release indicator (these are perfect) and will fish this setup up to about 15' if necessary.
    2. If the fish are deeper, just like Ethan said, I have a type IV full sink line with minimal amount of leader-tippet-fly (5' maybe). Let it sink all the way, wait a bit, then possibly do a very slow rising retrieve.

8. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

I agree with sourdoughs-

if you are wanting to fish that deep, use a full sinking line and a 5 to 8 ft leader. Using a 30 ft leader and indicator can be done but it is like tourture at times. Use the full sinking line- you can use hemostats or mark the line at 10 ft intervals and use a depth finder to see if you are at the bottom. Use a slow verticle retreive (ie slow hand twist every 30 sec) One great thing about the full sink line is you can feel the take- as opposed to using an indicator- You will be surprised at how hard the strike is.

Hope that helps
    Mike

9. Ed Call

Great help all, thanks. I did not even know there was such a thing as a quick release indicator. I've seen the frog hair, have some yarn ones and thingamabobbers. I have tried flailingly to cast a very long leader, but will keep working it out. The sinking line idea was one that had come to mind, it is always good to have options. Thanks again.

10. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Mumbles. I made my own quick release with a corkie and cut the plastic tube from inside the wifes hairspray bottle and also from the WD40 sprayer after she caught me shortening her hairspray tube. Just had to drill out the corkie to fit the plastic tubing. Slipping your leader through the corkie and tubing then pinching the leader between them when inserting it back into the corkie works great.

11. Ed Call

Sounds like my former practice of gear fising wtih corkies and pegging them with round toothpick portions will serve me well here. How do these "quick release" indicators end up working as the hit your tip top? Will the line slide through well enough?

12. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

13. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I need a bigger pic!

14. RPL/LL

RPL/LL Member

No need for anything just watch the end of the line you'll see the twitch/tug.pull back and you got'em.I've fished this way for the last 25yrs,which was before all this so call need for bobbers/indicators.This is just the way I was tought and it has'nt failed me yet.Give it a try...

tight lines..

15. Porter

Porter Active Member

You mean like when fishing with worms and marshrooms on spinning gear? :clown: :beer2: