Chironomid fishing a deeper location?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ed Call, Mar 6, 2009.

1. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Another vote here for no indicator, (going naked). Also with those mile long leaders it helps to roll cast instead of overhead. Another trick with the full sink line is to carry some whiteout and mark your line for depth with that. It's semi-permanent in that it will last all day but can be scraped off with a fingernail if need be.

2. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Ed, Waters West in Port Angeles has those little indicators (bobbers). Call and they will send them to you.

Comment on the marshmellows and worms. I had never heard of this until yesterday. I was giving Spencer Lake (Mason CTY) a try and while I was getting read to leave an old timer pulled out his boat and he had 3 nice rainbows. This was really an old aluminum boat with some patches. He had been using an old spining outfit. When asked what he used he produced a jar of marshmellows and described how he rigged them up with worms. I think what imressed me was a fellow with an old boat, an old motor, a beat up rod and reel, plain clothes and he was the only one with fish. Something to learned from this I think.

Mike

3. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    iagree There is so much to learn from so many ways of fishing and much that can be adapted to flyfishing. Not to mention that folks like the one you mentioned typically don't think twice about telling you a good spot or two and sharing their tactics.

I think one of the most gut busting laughs that I ever had while reading was when I came upon the story of the "twinkie" in The River Why - I haven't yet grokked to the point that I can glean what I need to improve some aspect of flyfishing from that one yet, but that's kinda the idea.
    :beer2:

4. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Boy Jim are you correct about sharing. I was at Cabelas yesterday buying some more new gear when the salesman began to tell us about a little stream that he and his buddy fished. "Of course I can't tell you where" he said. I wish he hadn't said anything at all rather than tease us with his BS.

Mike

5. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    ...and yet the names of my favorite creeks rarely leave my lips, and only with a couple nervous glances around to make sure nobody is close enough to hear. I'm as bad as the next elitist p.o.s. in that regard. But I sure don't mind the local boys telling me their spots which I file under my top secret category ;)

6. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Mumbles,
    Last summer I was fishing up in the interior of b.c. and as it was a cold spring/summer the fish were all hunkered down at 32' depth..
    I did well with a really long leader and indicator but found I needed to stand and keep the line pretty tight or it was easy to miss fish..

What I found that worked like a hot damn was something my buddies were doing..Full sink line, 5' or so of leader...I put the forceps on to check the depth like you would normally..When I found the bottom I held that spot on the line and put on a small piece of electrical tape, (colored helps allot and I had orange for some reason)
    I then took off the forceps and tossed out and let settle my line next to me...I would move it up and down a bit at the tape mark...
    HOLD ON TO YOUR ROD TIGHT!!! The hits I got were mostly so hard if I hadn't been holding on tight my rod would have been gone...Way cool..and that's pretty much how I fish anything over 20' now!!!

7. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

You know, Golfman, I've never done the full sink thing but you have me inspired. I suppose with two weighted chironies, my type 3 intermediate should work pretty much the same way.

That hardcore strike is cool though. Best part of fishing imo. Next to playing a good size fish.

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

"Something to learned from this I think."

Yeah, it's called "Catch and Release"...

9. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

I have been following all the discussions on the subject of C & R with interest. It seems to me that there are legitament situations where C&R are not only indicated but highly desired. However when dealing with fish which are stocked in local lakes for the purpose of being taken it is a little over the top to push a personal agenda. If you want to release all your fish have at it. When a persons espouses secrecy as a virtue it would seem that he would keep his opinions to himself.

Mike

10. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I have to agree that the strike on the chrono without the indicator is awsome. And yes hold on .this past trip I had set my rod down on just as I looked up my rod got yanked right out . For once I had quick reflexes and grab before I lost the rod.

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

That sounds more appealing than having an indicator/bobber. I'll have to give it a whirl in the deeper places I've fished.

12. Doodler

Doodler New Member

I believe in C&R and respect the law. This helps preserve the sport for the next generations. There are certain instances that a fisherman can catch and keep fish according to the regs. If this is not in accordance with your beliefs(C&R only), I'm wondering what you think C&R is, only for public viewing. Do you release fish that are bleeding and watch them die or maybe this doesn't happen to C&R purists. What actually happens in those secret spots that we don't tell about or those secret trials some have and don't tell about until the trial is over. Maybe by then , all the fish are gone, then nobody would know the truth about the trail. Do not answer this, it's a secret, isn't IT.

13. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    I've watched guys slay that way and it is just so much more fly fishing (IMHO) with the direct connection to the fish. I haven't invested in the line to do it, but I also don't like stillwater fishing midges until they hit emerger stage. I know I know, lots of fish to be had, maybe with a full sink I'd enjoy it. Okay, I'll admit, I enjoyed taking a nap tied to the reeds with my indicator/midge out being blown away from me by the wind with my rod cradled thru my arm... woke up to a brute on there!

14. Gseries69

Gseries69 New Member

You can try using a yarn indicator, it will go right through the guides and is easy to cast because you don't need very much. I mark the depth I want to fish using hemos to find bottom, then tie a slip knot in my leader 6" - 1' from bottom, insert about 1" of cut yarn and smother in floatant. Method is best used on shoals that do not have quick changes in depth.

Here in VT we have some very deep lakes where the full sinking lines work best. The midges will hatch over deep water and the fish will be suspended. It's best to get the fastest sinker you can cast on the rod your using. Short leader, cast out and let the line sink untl it is vertical, then slowly hand twist. The strikes will be heavy because the fish turn on the fly and take it on their way down. Soft tips are a must.

15. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

I don't cast 30 feet of leader, I have enough trouble keeping 9 feet of leader untangled. I just plop it down right in front of me,..... or I will go to shallower water.

Sam