Chironomid Swap 16 or smaller Spring 2011

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Irafly, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Dang it Steve, I saw your name on here and thought you were jumping on ship. I was even going to add an extra spot for you.

I think I'll open up another chironomid swap any size, this one filled pretty quick.

Ira..

2. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

It is now officially closed instructions are in your PMs and at the beginning. The 24th also happens to be my B-Day in case you want to throw in an extra bug :) No pressure though.

Ira..

Oh I'm also going to host a no holds barred Chironomid swap as well where I plan to tie a size 8 or 10 bomber for BC lakes. So Keep your eyes open.

Ira..

3. Pounded these babies out with the game on the background. This is an effective pattern which fishes well in 90% of the lakes I've fished here and in BC. They look simple but each one takes 5 different sets of materials, hope to receive some good patterns in exchange. Thanks Ira for setting this up!

4. Chef

Chef New Member

5. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Those look killer, not simple they look exactly like throat samples I've taken. I like the black and red variation, I usually go with black body red ribbing versus the other way around, but have been tempted several times to do this. I'm fairly sure I can name 4 out of the 5 materials but the covering over the body could be several things, not quite sure there.

Nice bug.

Ira..

6. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

This will work. Sorry I didn't reply to your text.

This really works well for me, because all of my bugs are weighted and on occassion it would be nice to throw some unweighted bugs. Tie it.

Ira..

7. Theres place and time for everything, prob. a great bug to use when the fish are keyed just under the surface with emergers. Floating line and light leader should do the trick for fish slurping the emerging Chironomid.

8. Photo doesn't quite show the coloration, but the color isn't red, more of amber or root beer colored thread. There is one secret material but I don't know if anyone has used it with their Chironomid ties b4... ;)

9. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Ok, I'm not done, but cranked out a good few of mine, hope they look good (I forgot how small 16 was, these are a pain!).

10. Chef

Chef New Member

Trout: I agree.... size 16 are a pain! :)

11. Mark Horwath

Mark Horwath Member

Man up boys, start tying "20 then complain, just finished tying starting to label the flys hope to deliver some time this week.
    Mark,

12. Mark, does that mean you tied up 20's? If so, kudos to you! I need to fill some smaller flies into my Chironomid selection. I sent off my flies yesterday to Ira. Gettin' ready for some stillwater!!!

13. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

They arrived in the mail today! Great looking bugs. I've always likes smaller, found them to be quicker to tie. But then again, yeah they are a pain.

Ira..

Oh an nice bugs Troutrageous

14. Chef

Chef New Member

Just finished early this morning. Couldnt sleep so plenty of time to tie at 1:30 AM before work.

It was good for me to tie these becasue I learned some key things: less is best, dont over crowed the eye, half hitches are easier then whip finishes in smaller flies (for me at least), gotta be gentle with the thread wraps by the eye of the hook and when using silk thread, gotta take it easy and not pull so damn hard. :)

15. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

We all learned and are still learning these lessons.

Ira..