CHIRONOMID THREAD -

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Drifter, Jan 11, 2012.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I had my first experience of fishing on a large reservoir where fish congregate in the old river channel this last fall. Wished I had channel markers. I do most of my fishing out of an inflatable kickboat and limit the amount of gear I carry . . .I just last year started using an anchor :). Eventually I'll buy a drift boat and rig it with electronics and channel markers.

2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    A bunch of fishers around here are using these now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110728383840 #ht_831wt_929

It beats the heck out of that big X on the water...LOL If you don't have GPS I think this is cool. I am going to do it this year.
    I get on top a killer school and I find I drift, or they pull , or kicking I loose that spot and spend way too much time trying to find it again. I guess anchoring can help, but I don't like anchoring.

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Just another option to consider for adding weight if you don't want to use or have tungsten beads or swivels readily available.

With small metal beads, you can use three wraps of .010 lead on the hook shank behind the bead. Slide it up the shank into the bead and use the tips of some old tying scissors to pack it inside the bead. It doesn't add a lot of weight, but it noticeably increases the sink rate.
    You can use bigger lead with larger beads of course. I hope this tip helps others.

4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

God, take off for a couple of days and this thread explodes! Awesome stuff. I will say after reading all the posts that I'm looking forward to the new bank of knowledge I have to try during slow times on the water. I do catch a lot of fish with a vertical presentation (don't think I didn't see that post troutpocket :) ) and I believe I know a bit about it. I'll agree with Pond and Pocket on the fact that confidence and presentation become key. I like to catch lots of fish and I'm willing to throw weight, multiple flies, furled, tapered, untapered, etc... to do it and time and time again I've found that flexibility is the number one key. I do want to catch fish that badly and Pond no offence I catch more fish with two flies than one, and yes I've experimented, and yes I've fished next to one bug guys and I've outfished them. It sounds like you've only experienced fishing next to one person with two bugs, maybe they just aren't that good?

Ira..

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

This is awesome info, plus it helps keep the bead where it belongs. May I add for those that may not know, check your regs for the lead wire. Some places it is not legal, but there is alternatives. Bad thing about that, the alternatives are not as thin as lead can be.

6. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

It just dawned on me why you guys like/ need so much weight.... it's cause you're trolling or wind drifting so much of the time, no? If you're anchored, there is not the need..... a weighted fly only most of the time or add a #4 shot or a barrel for the deeper zones. You're standing and double hauling...... very rhythmic and graceful... like flyfishing ought to be... but that's just me......

with all due respect......Paul

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Not sure about the others who have posted, but I'm not trolling or wind drifting. I'm achored up.
    I like the additional weight on the my flies rather then using a barrel swivel or split. Just the way I prefer to fish.
    Based on the number of replies, it looks like everyone has techniques that work well for them. I always enjoy seeing what works for others and how I can incorporate it into my fishing.

8. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Pond, I am sorry this all exploded. The wind does have some play but not all. As I said, I fish waters in 30'. In that 30' of water there could be 12" in the first 15' and 30" in the 28' mark. The added weight that is NOT always used, is now put on to get past those hungry smaller fish.
    Weight is not always used. Standing on shore, I agree all the way, I hate casting weight, but at times it is required. Maybe not a BB size (that is just the largest I go) I also use sink putty which does make casting easier. I have even used MUD on the fly its self to get it to sink quick.
    Not so much weight, just some weight. No trolling however, wind you can't really controll, I will put my back against the wind and kick to stay in one spot.
    As for the size, a BB is the size of a pepper corn, and a little bigger than 1/8 bead...not big to me.
    Just different that is all.

9. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

If you want a really deep stillwater (chironomid) experience..... you might try Sheridan Lake in BC....It's a big body of water, very clear, with a marl bottom. Summer months drive fish deep. Some guys fish in 50-60 feet of water. I heard of a gentleman from Washington.... an excellent stillwater angler btw who had a fifty plus fish afternoon a couple of years ago.....all over five pounds......using a fast sinking line, anchored up and fishing straight down...hang on tight....

Paul

10. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    That's the stuff dreams are made of Paul.

11. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

Hi Blue,
    About things "exploding" oh well I'm a big boy... most of what I have learned over the 30 plus years fly fishing has been ..... getting out a lot.... reading everything I could find and picking the brains of anglers more veteran than myself who I respect. I am not afraid to ask tons of questions of anglers who have gone before me... pioneering the way....
    Most of this occurred pre internet era.... pre fly fishing forums.... men are pretty sensitive I find..... You seem to be very secure in who you are and gracious as well....

thank you...Paul

12. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

HI Blue,
    BECAUSE YOU ASKED....

13. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Yes I did...NICE TIE thanks.

14. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

Here are a few that i tied today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tell me what you think

15. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    AWESOME! Those glass beads are most Bodacious! I like them all but the first one is cool as heck.