CHIRONOMID THREAD -

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Drifter, Jan 11, 2012.

1. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

Mark ,
    Another thing..... do you have scientific info on the current diet of trout at Crane?....I think its predominately the three spine stickleback and dragonfly nymphs, with insects down the list a ways.......
    The classic chironomid lakes of BC host many species of chronnies, heavy scuds numbers along with damsels, dragon mayflies, caddis, boatmen, terrestrials..... and zero baitfish...

PM.

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

You are right in the stickleback minnows being feed for the trout. It was said that the rainbow weren't feeding on them so we kept an injured 5 pound fish and cut it open . full of sticklebacks and what i would call a tape worm. the minnows give the cranebows worms which is why i think they feed all day. many times at 9 in the morn the chiro's are flying from the water and going straight up. not spending much time on the water . large body terrible fliers. I thought bombers were just big chiro's - LOL

I don't know when you fished crane but it has changed a bunch in the last ten years from the research I've done. the damsels were hit hard by the stickleback but are now coming back pretty strong . most of the guides (I know two) that fly fish crane use mostly if not all chiro's for they're clients. Its said that when the damsels got hit hard the chiros became a main food source for the big bows . I have tied some of my own stickleback patterns last year and caught a few fish on them in the evening . If you know crane then you know its about finding the fish - not as much as catching them once found , what i have found is that they are pigs and will eat if they are their. we only fish a spot for 20 minutes and if no fish by then we move - one minute you can be hammering them the next they are gone . a lot of moving with motors and covering many different hot spots to find them.

Last year was a tough year beings they had so much snow pack and water in central oregon. the summer was mild and the water stayed cold for most of the summer - even the guides were only getting 10 to 15 take downs a day for the norm when usually they would hook 20 to 30 fish a day on chiro's.

I only got over their once last year but want to work stickleback patterns a lot more this coming year . I also am going to try it early like in may and cover a lot of the shallower spots on the troll and casting intermediates kind of a run and gun. like i posted i've only fished it for two years . went to guides seminar on crane and he gave out a lot of info on the chiro's and channels and CHANNEL MARKERS - most people (all the guides) use these channel markers to fish at crane . throwing two on each side of the channel 20 yards apart or so gives you a box to fish and figure out just exactly where the fish are using that channel (middle - one edge or the other) so you can concentrate your efforts their.

As far as hatches it has them all - just like you mentioned but when pumping (and i don't pump many) hardly any large dragon nymphs at all. mostly tape worms and stickle backs and smaller nymphs.

I am also learning every trip on this lake and trying new things . i would think a good stickleback pattern in april or may would knock them out but you'd have to cover a lot of water like trolling which is my least favorite way to fish but will try it this spring and see what happens. the earliest i've fished it is 3rd week of june and we did great !

Last year when we went most of the numbers of fish were in the cultus channel and so was all the fisherman , we tried to stay away from all the boats but after a day of hit and miss very few fish went in the next day and had to downsize to #14's to get takes . all the boats and over 20 ft. sleds coming in and out made for spooky fish . heck if you've fished it that much you should be telling me how to fish it ! j/k we do fine at crane but it can be tough some days . the wind really helps !

I really do not like pumping stomach's to much . but will take your advice and do it more . but it seems if they are where your fishing they are pretty easy to catch most of the time. heck i have downloaded printed out maps of every piece of water at that lake , even found a map of it when it was half frozen and can see almost the whole channel of the deschutes under water - every turn . know where the quinn and cultus are in the middle of the lake also - all this helps when fishing crane as you well know ! The guides i see are using gps points to be exact in the middle of the lake channels. hope to get one of these units (finder-gps)this spring for the DB.

3. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

Hi Mark,
    Those white tapeworms are commonly associated with the sticklebacks (hence the bulging stomachs) and it's not unusual for a trout to cough them up at the boat.... fortunately trout are not hosts for them.... so not to worry.
    Pumping fish will only suction smaller bugs as the tubes are only about 3/16" i.d.
    Finding fish that aren't spooked is always a challenge for sure.... and wind riffles are always good....until it's too much and the presentation gets compromised.......then fishing naked is best especially with a super slow sinker like Airflo's super slow line.... it sinks at half the rate of a so called clear intermediates and it gets below the surface unlike a floater which can still bounce around a lot with bigger waves...
    I only fished Crane once last year as Diamond is only a bit further for me and we usually have lots of action there...and more fun as a result.....50 fish days (2 guys) is common. I get spoiled for bigger fish and hot action in BC in spring so I just don't have the stomach to work so hard like one generally needs to do at Crane for those trophy bows....
    I also enjoy Wickiups Sheep Bridge area. I fished it 5 6 days last year....I have had some killer days there .... best day 40 browns (me only) over 18" and using chronnies..

Regards..... Pond Monkey

4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I did a lot of research on wickiup last year just didn't make it over their. I will be able to fish a lot more this summer and plan on a crane-diamond trip early , and maybe wickiup on that first trip also since one needs to fish it early in the year. east should have some good sized bows along with the browns this summer too - in good numbers with the new stocking program of rainbows which i believe to be klamath rainbows but have also herd they brought in blackwater bows from b.c. don't quite know which but did the planting to help with the chub . ANYWAY chiro fishing rocks !

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Wohoo, I love fishing Mids. I do it from a pontoon but also off shore lines. I do have to guess off the shores on the depth. On stillwater, I either use sonar to get the depth, or I use one of those sinkers with a roach clip for ice fishing. I clip it on the bottom fly and drop it to the bottom. I then raise it a foot and set the indy.
    When fishing with sonar I can see the depth and adjust easier. I will use a Type VII line or I will use floating with a slip indicator. As I have mentioned before I use up to 30' leader. I use the same indicators as Chan also. I have learned that if I drill the hole out on the peg of the indicator, I can use one of my furled leaders. Reason I like this is it allowes me to be able to cast a 20' leader with ease instead of lobbing it out there.
    I would like to share some of my Chironomids with you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Off a swim hook
    [​IMG]
    And don't forget, BUZZERS
    [​IMG]

6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Nice stuff, Blue!! The red/black 'mid you tied up for the winter lake swap last year got shredded over the course of a two day trip I did last March.

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    That is a great color combination. Thanks by the way. Last year Black thread with a blue wire and White bead was KILLER. Can't wait to give it another go.

8. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I tried doing a quick search for the Airflo line you mentioned, but I wasn't able to find much. Could you expand on this? I'd be interested in taking a look at this line if I could find it. I love a super slow sinking line.

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
  10. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Nick - Blue beat me to it. I've been fishing the Rio Outbound Hover for two years. Great casting and fishing line and much slower sinking than most clear "intermediate" lines. And to keep it on topic . . .also a great way to fish chironomids when the vertical presentation isn't getting the job done (don't tell Ira!).

11. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I wished I had thought of that...LOL

12. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

Hi Nick,
    Airflo makes a slow full sinking "intermediate" line .... It's one of their "Sixth Sense" series and they call it a slow glass intermediate (WF). It comes in 5/6 ect. and sinks at a rate of .5 of an inch per second... it's a greenish color.... They use to make a slow clear intermediate but it had some problems with losing it's slickness. On that clear line I figured out that I can grease the line starting back 30 feet and that solved the problem for me without messing up its sinking. I have two of each still. The clear one is a "delta taper" not a WF.
    The slow sink rate is great for hand twisting slowly in shallow areas and it enables one to cast across wind waves and maintain a straight in line...... no lateral belly .... You can also fish ( up to 20 feet plus) a chironomids naked and very slowly by using say a 12-14 foot leader and maybe a #4 shot at the tippet knot.
    I fish out of my Super Vee anchored up ( two anchors mostly) and I can make long cast allow it to get and then begin a slow hand twist..... during hatches fish can be suspended mid water column. It's great way to explore the water column at times... be prepared for strong pulls!

13. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

WOW those are some of the sweetest chiro's I've ever seen. I've never down well fishing with the UK buzzer style tie. although i did not stick with them for too long. thanks for the pics, they're great!

14. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

does anyone use up eyed dry fly hooks for chrony's ? in size 10 and larger they seem to work for me.
    Blue, nice ties and photo's.

15. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

Howdy Skyrise,
    I prefer straight eye like Mustad C49s or the more common downturned eye. I did just purchase some new Alec Jackson Chironomid hooks.... and they have a slightly upturned eye..... they are also amazingly sharp and have what he calls a crystal finish (basically silver).... they also come only in odd sizes 11s, 13 ect.... and I like that... with big fish over five pounds 14s are just a bit inadequate....I'm thinking that 13s will bridge the gap. .... they are made by Daiichi....

Regards.....Pond Monkey