CHIRONOMID THREAD -

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Drifter, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Blue - are you using Sally hansen clear as nails or lacquer on your chiro's . I use sally clear as nails and have left the cap off for around 6 to 8 hours to make it thicker on some of the containers, just wondering if that is sally's your using for coating? how many coats to have such a nice thick coating.

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for those lines. I did a little more searching after I posted earlier and did find the Airflo line. Didn't know about the Rio line though. I like the sounds of the super slow sink rate of the Airflo, but the Hover sounds like a nice line as well. I can think of a good many applications for such a line. I will be doing some research and picking one up real soon. It seems to me that this line would almost take the place of a floater in many applications.

This has turned into a fantastic thread. Blue those are some beautiful chronnies!!!! I have gathered lots of good info from this thread, and look forward to putting it to use this spring. (And now I am kinda itching to fish Crane! lol )

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

What floating lines do you guys use when fishing long leaders/bobbers/double flys etc...? I picked up a Rio Indicator line for 6 wt and fished it for a while yesterday. I wasn't using a super long leader, but I was using a thingamabobber and a double fly rig and found that line roll cast amazingly well and turned over a 12' leader and double fly/bobber with ease. I wasn't making long casts, but distance isn't an issue when anchored up on a lake. I was able to stand and roll cast 40' with just a flick of the arm with great turnover. I know it will never be easy to throw those 20' leaders, but I think this line will definitely be an improvement over what I have been using. Any of you guys try this line?

4. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I do use SHHAN. I bought a drying wheel from Cabela's and I build the Chironomids with the peacock in two stages. I coat the thread and wire portion about 5 or 6 coats. But I prefer to keep it thin, thicker might not need as many coats, but I get air bubbles at times. Then I put the thorax on.
    As far as floating lines, I use Shark Skin and Windcutter II. and a 7' mono furled leader with fluoro tippet.

5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Thanks for the tip blue . I figure those might have multiple coats.

LEADERS - I buy hand tied fluoro tippets in 12 pound 12 foot then put two tippets off of that to make them around 18 ft. 12-10-8 but i have to check into the furled leaders, but as mentioned you would have to drill the holes bigger in the slip-release indicator pegs , something i've been wanting to do anyway.

6. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

Good morning from Orygne,
    I'm sitting scratching my head and wondering.... why the furled leader in a deep water application? I fish mostly deep water (18'-23') in BC every spring with a bunch of pioneers from all over the NW and BC..... These guys (and myself) all use a simple straight ( non tapered) leader...
    For one thing it's generally nice to have the indicator which is fairly wind resistant 5/8" -1/2" diameter(quick release) close to the fly line to minimize hinge effect... .plus a straight leader(3X) fluorocarbon sinks fast with little water resistance and hangs straight....I use a 15' 3X straight section of fluorocarbon then attach a #10 barrel swivel (mostly for weight) and the about a five foot tippet....At the flyline end I do use a short section about 12" of 1X nail knotted to my flyline to transition to my 3X....for tippet I use mostly Orvis Mirage in 4X... it is rated at & 7 lbs and is .007 in diameter.... many angler in BC where I go use 3X bargain brand fluoro tippet... This setup casts nice too...
    I used a Rio Nymph for 2-3 years but switched to the Rio Gold....

Regards.....PM

7. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Currently using a sharkskin 4wt trout taper. In the past I've used a 5wt Rio Indicator with good success but wanted to see if I could get away with my 4wt. When I'm running 2x or 3x fluoro tippet I have no difficulty horsing in fish up to 22" or so. . .but most trout I get are in the 16-19" range. When I fish in Big Trout places I switch to a 6wt SA Bass taper line and 6wt rod. I agree the 6wt setup is a roll casting machine, but as you already pointed out, distance is rarely an issue when chironomid fishing. And once you get used to bending the rod down to the cork on a 20" fish, the 6wt feels like a pool cue.

8. robl

robl Member

I love fishing Chironomids! Can't wait for March each year! I've got to where I pretty much fish three patterns in a few colors in sizes 14 and 12 with a few exceptions when I fish BIG long shanked #8. I almost always fish them under indicators that I make specially for stillwater. This year I am going to try and fish my Deep 7 with chironomids though. Sounds like a lot of fun to get them deep. Probably wait until summer and fall to do that.

There are some really good looking flies on this thread!

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I too fish most in the 24' range. Can you cast that while seated in a tube or on a pontoon? Best I could get was a lob, then kick back dragging the flies over the fish. With a furled leader I can cast that 7' leader and that 13' to 14' of fluoro with a nice roll. Means I can anchor if I need to. So I am running a tapered furled and straight P-Line flourocarbon all the way down. I do add a tag towards the bottom for double or triple flies and depths (double for UTAH, triple for Idaho although most lakes there can use up to five).

A friend I make the leaders for turned me on to this and it does work.

10. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Pond I also use a stiff small piece of mono for a butt section from my fly line so i can keep switching leaders and not have to keep cutting my fly line tip .

I also like having a tapered leader for 12 ft. for over head casting smoothly, many have posted a straight leader and I might have to try that. my removable split shot goes above the first tippet knot on the #12 then #10 to the first fly then #8 to the second fly. I found hand tied 12# 12ft tapered leaders 5 for $13 on the internet, on my monthly income I can not afford to buy them at shops in fluorocarbon. these leaders work great so i buy them in the winter to stock up and not have to pay for them when i'm trying to pay for gas and such for trips . They also sell any size you want on dupont fluoro then I use orvis - rio- or umqua tippets . for saving money i do buy seaguar also.

11. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I wanted to pass this on as well to those that are not familiar with them. These are great for Multi fly aplication as they can't twist like tying a tag to the leader.

http://gamakatsu.com/new_products/new_dropperbead.htm

I use a small split shot below the dropper bead to keep it from sliding down but a knot will also work. Sink putty is cool cause you need very little. For 6 lb line the medium works great. 6lb is probably max for the small, but small will work as well.

12. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

Hi Blue,
    I cannot speak to fishing out of a pontoon boat.... You would have to try it.... another thing I believe that you mentioned fish only one foot off the bottom....I'm at 2-3 feet especially in deep flats. I don't want risk being out of sight as trout don't look down but from any reasonable distance they can easily see up.
    The barrel swivel versus shot is a no brainer....... they never come off.
    FYI....I never bother with two flies. It is illegal in BC anyway, although many ignore the silly law.....I have spent hours even days fishing side by side with a friend who uses two flies most of the time.... Fish are almost always caught on the point fly....plus I have had many days catching quit a few more fish than my bud using two flies .... so I just don't want to fart around with it......

Paul

13. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

Pontoon on lakes is the norm here, but as I said I also fish from shore lines and try to guess the depth.
    I put one fly a foot off the bottom and the second fly is actually 2 to 3 feet up from that so basically cover two depths. This has resulted in numerous doubles which is always fun and interesting trying to net.
    I am seriously thinking the swivel idea this year, but I do so like the dropper beads...LOL
    If multi flies are illegal then one it is for sure. I use the multi flies never exceeding three as it gets really crazy unless wash lining. And I agree they generally hit just one fly but again I have had numerous doubles. I have had them hit one fly so I remove the other to find they no longer hit. I put the other fly back and they hit again. Maybe an attractor thing.

It is all about what one feels comfortable with and I love to fart around..LOL

14. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

Hi Mark,
    When we am fishing Diamond or Crane or Wickiup we're fishing in water that is only 6'-7' much of the time ....sometimes up to 12' but it really isn't necessary to be in water deeper than 12' once you get familiar.....So over there I always use a tapered leader....I use a 9' 3X nylon ( cut down to 8' ).... then I ad 4' of 3X flouro to extend and then knot on 4X flouro tippet. I grease most the tapered leader portion with a paste floatant so it sinks not... don't want to drag down my bobber.. plus if it's floating it's much easier to pick up...

Paul

15. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

Hi Blue,
    With all due respect, I really don't care about hooking two fish at a time. That is just a distraction to me, a bother... and also I hate foul hooking fish and two flies result in too much of that... especially when they are so close...i wouldn't smoke two quality cigars at a time or drink two glasses of wine.....
    Like I said I have seen it over and over fishing side by side with a "two fly guy" and I have not seen any net advantage...I have actually seen the opposite.......

Regards....Paul