Chirono's

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Donato, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Thank you Ron, that's quite a compliment!

So many gear and fly fishing friends have been telling me that lately. I thought about a gear and fly fishing combo - boy would that create a controversy! Although there would be no info on gear fishing for trout. But I'm still just a knuckle dragging - toothless - mouth breather. HA - I could call it =

THE KNUCKLE DRAGGING-TOOTHLESS-MOUTH BREATHERS GUIDE TO FISHING!

2. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

I am just learning the chronie thing, this information is terrific! Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge. Awesome. Now if the wind could quit blowing (sucking?) I could put it to use.

3. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

What Mark said (especially about tying an all fluoro leader.) I do the same thing when fishing rivers under an indicator. Fluoro sinks a lot quicker than mono, so your flies get down into the zone faster! Rick

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Thanks Scott.

5. Donato

Donato Member

Thanks guys, lots of good info here. Hoping to fish in 12ft or less so it will be easier for my girlfriend to cast her chirono set up out there.
    Todd, do you think those fish in B. Twin will be in the 18in range this year. Caught lots of 14-16 last spring. Hope to fish Davis on Fri for the chirono testing.

6. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

This. I fish a lot of chirnos at 20+/- with a release indicator...I don't call it "casting".

dryflylarry likes this.
  7. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

It was a relatively mild winter and ice off came early. The aerator in Big Twin kept an ice free area all winter, so chances are good for some big over-winter fish. A friend caught a 24" trout last year right in front of my cabin (in 30' of water) Rick

8. Donato

Donato Member

Todd,
    Will you be there this weekend? Any thoughts on fishing L. Twin? I've never fished it. If Lindsey catches a 24in trout I feel sorry for him. She be more that happy watching from shore and sipping a lemond drop while I fished. We'll be more that happy with lots of fisty 16 inchers. Hopefully Davis will put out some nice hold overs.
    Bob

9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Saturday and Monday are shown as "breezy" on the weather report.

10. Donato

Donato Member

So whats new? Don't you know its always breezy in E. WA. Will rent a boat on B. Twin that will hopefully make it still fishable.
    Get that garage done yet? I would have thought you got that motor and battery by now.

11. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Active Member

Great chironomid tips everyone.

Here is my chironomid indicator set up:

Self made chironomid quick release slip indicator for Maxima Ultra Green 8lb.:

Beau Mac Cheater (color #1 luminous/top painted fl. orange, tear drop shape) #8 1/2" dia., #6 5/8" dia. (most used size) & #4 3/4" dia., narrow end towards the chironomids, weighted enough to tip the Cheater up right. When there is a slack line bite, rising towards the surface. The Cheater will roll over on its side.

Drill 3/32" .094 dia. hole. (for Maxima U. G. 8lb., Q-Tip tube peg being not tapered, for larger lb. line, drill a larger hole to fit the line being used/pegged)

3/8" long .088 dia. Q-Tip clear tube peg (Dollar Tree cheap ones), lighter melted lip on one end, peg the quick release slip indicator towards the chironomids.

I prefer the Q-Tip tube peg over the sinking black plastic tapered float/indicator pegs because the Q-Tip tube peg is much smaller, lighter and floats. Making the whole indicator weigh much less. I'll rig the sliding Q-Tip tube peg on the fly side of the leader for a few of reasons. Tangles are less. The Cheater pushes the Q-Tip tube peg down the leader after disengaging. The Q-Tip tube peg has the smaller hole than the Cheater, allowing the use of a smaller barrel swivel to stop the indicator. The barrel swivel stops and saves the indicator if the tippet breaks. Use the right size rubber float stop if a barrel swivel is not wanted.

Airflo 5' Trout 12lb. .012 dia. Float Poly Leader

25' tapered adjustable double chironomid leader for the self made chironomid quick release slip indicator (excellent adjustable naked chironomid leader also, just remove the indicator):

Maxima U. G. 8lb. .012 dia. 5' 1" Perfection loops on each end.
    Maxima Fluoro. 10lb. .011 dia. 5' 1" Perfection loops on each end.
    Maxima Fluoro. 8lb. .010 dia. 5' 1" Perfection loops on each end.
    Maxima Fluoro. 6lb. .009 dia. 5' 1" Perfection loops on each end.
    (Perfection loop knots are small enough for the Q-Tip tube peg to slide over them)

Black Barrel Swivel: #10 - #14, leader - tippet looped to the barrel swivel, indicator stop, weight adjustment.

Tippet: Maxima Fluoro. 6lb. .009 dia. for #14 chironomids and larger, 4lb. .007 dia. for #16 chironomids and smaller, 1" Perfection loop - 3' - Blood knot, trimmed tags - 2' to a small Uni loop knot to the lower/point chironomid/blood worm, balance leach, 5' total.

Upper dropper tippet: Maxima Fluoro. 6lb. .009 dia. or 4lb. .007 dia., 1" Perfection loop - 3" to a small Uni loop knot to a chironomid, 4" total. Looped to the tippet above the Blood knot.

The quick release slip indicator stays/pegs to the Maxima 8lb. U. G., 5' section for 5' of indicator depth adjustment. More depth/leader length adjustments are with the middle leader sections, starting with 10lb. first, then 8lb., then 6lb. Mark leader wallet pockets for different lb. leader sections. 4" upper dropper tippets can be pre tied for the upper chironomid and looped on and off the tippet above the Blood knot.

A nymph/indicator/bass taper floating fly line, lined up a weight or two above the rod weight will help cast a long chironomid leader, because of the short length of fly line outside the rod tip. Try to have at least the same length of fly line outside the rod tip as the length of the leader, before making the cast. Roll cast 2-3 times to work the fly line out and the long leader to the surface, then pick up to cast.

GG

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Irafly and Mark Kraniger like this.
  12. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Grey Ghost, thanks for the advice. Am I reading your post correctly? You use a polyleader, four sections of maxima and then two tippet diameters? That's a seven sections in all. I haven't tried vertical yet, but sort of envisioned using one section of floro and then maybe some tippet.

nailbender likes this.
  13. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Hi Bob-I won't be over until Tuesday, and then through until the weekend. Thought I would skip the opening day crowds! Rick

14. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

It`s my understanding that the Brassie was developed in Alberta as a chironomid imitation for targeting some of the very large whitefish they have in many of their northern lakes .

I`ve used them , with success , on a few of the lakes around Kamloops.

15. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

I always thought you just had one oar in the water...so you do that on purpose huh? :rolleyes:

Jeff Dodd likes this.