Chirono's

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Donato, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

Patrick,

You have everything right except the tippet.

I'll only use one diameter at a time for the whole tippet set up, usually 6lb. for #14 chironomids and larger. Then I'll drop down to 4lb. for #16 chironomids and smaller.

The beauty of the 25' tapered adjustable chironomid leader is quick and easy leader length changes. Like 25' to 15' by unlooping the middle 10lb. and 8 lb. fluoro. sections and relooping the remaining sections together.

Mark leader wallet pockets to keep the unloop sections organized and easy to identify for relooping in to lengthen the leader again.
    No need for multiple leader lengths and tying more knots. Once all set up, it is all loop to loop changes and no knots tied. It may seem a little extreme, but it does make a very versatile chironomid leader.

I hope this helps some.

GG

Jeff Dodd and Patrick Gould like this.
  2. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I was wondering myself about all the diff lines, I haven't given myself the chance to get that detailed with the line. I do like the interchangeable lines and being able to slip them apart and not retie all the time. Thanks for the clarification.

3. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Ok, my quick two cents.

I won't use swivels on my leaders anymore, because the fish will eat them or at least try to causing you to "miss" takes. I also wonder about split shot and weeds on knots. To bring the flies down I tend to use tungsten beads fairly exclusively.

I also am a peg up guy with a tear drop style indicator. I like the indicator to sit on its side so I can witness the much more subtler takes when the indicator tips slightly, pauses, moves sideways, etc...

I second the idea of soaking whatever you want under an indicator.

4. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Do you put the narrow end towards the flies or toward the reel? When using the teardrops (and I've used them and the round ones but didn't notice a difference--maybe I should reconsider), I have always put it towards the reel, with the thought that it's more aerodynamic for casting that way.

5. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Toward the reel, it gives a better indication which is what the thing is for. At times the fish take so subtly that something as much as a simple mm tip is all I need to set the hook and if the peg is down it is much harder to see. Tear drop is by far better than round.

6. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Hi Bob, hope you are having a great weekend fishing. If you need to stock up your chironomids this may be my chance to finally thank you for saving my Sage VXP in that parking area in Cle Elum. I tie and could put together a batch for you, can't promise quality but they should work most of the time! Just say the word and I'll put together a couple dozen. And just FYI, my rod is expected back from Sage repair today! Ron

Jeff Dodd and Mark Kraniger like this.
  7. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

I want to thank you guys for this thread and the information you provided. As I stated earlier in this thread, I am pretty new to the lake and chirono gig, I just started a couple of years ago. I have had some success, and manage to catch a few fish using this method, but utilizing the info you have graciously posted here, I went to Lenice today and employed some of the strategies and methods you suggested. I had the best day ever. The weather was perfect, a little breezy at times, but no problems. I brought about a dozen rainbows to the net ranging in size from 12" and the biggest (2) at 17". My buddy Wayne, gave me a couple of Irafly's blood worms a couple of weeks ago. Those proved to be effective. I did not see any mayfly activity, but I tied on a micro mayfly in a size 20 and that, for some reason proved to be the fly of the day. Unbelievable. I lost more fish than I brought to the net.
    I have tried chirono fishing 10 times or so in the last couple of years, but due to lack of action or success, got bored and changed up to something else. Not today, I stuck with it and it proved to be very successful.
    Thanks, guys. Your suggestions and expertise helped me to get a better idea of of the fundamentals and your tactics of chirono fishing. It was a great day. And the first sunburn of the year. Should have been more prepared for that...

anti.team, Irafly and Jeff Dodd like this.
  8. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

It's fun when it works out, ain't it?

Well done. The anti-bobber naysayers can bite it. You are not alone on the sunburn thing.

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I put my peg on top also. The furled leader thing for sure, but putting it on the fly end also makes sense as the peg might not come out of the float. Which if you should happen to break off, would be a good thing.

10. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

You bobber guys.....

11. Donato

Donato Member

Well I came back Sunday evening after spending 4 day fishing in the okanogon. I had a decent trip that would have been great if it wasn't windy for the 4 days that I was there. Yes the wind bitch followed me all four days on 3 different lakes.
    I like to thank all of you for your help and answers to my chirono questions. To make a long story short. I landed 37 fish with 18 on chirono's. I would have caught a few more if it weren't for the wind and a few other mishaps like a broken hook 4 take downs later.
    Because of the wind, I was only able to fish the extreme southern end of blue in the sinlahiken for the two days I was there. I caught a few on chirono's but I should have been able to do better. I watched two others fishermen catch 20 or so apiece each of those days. They gave me some tips on what they were using and how deep they were fishing, very frustrating. I just couldn't seem to find the right spot, depth or fly or a combo of those three. If I could have fished more of blue I would have caught more fish. Two days there netted me 19 fish with at least 10 missed take downs and more than a few LDR's but only 4 on Chirono's
    My best chirono day was on Sat at a different lake where I went 14 for 18 fish on chirono's if you count the lone blue gill I caught on a chirono.
    On Sun I fish another lake for 3.5 hours in the wind with not even a bump on both chirono's or streamers on a full sink. So I headed home around 2pm.
    I know I'm not there yet and have to sharpen my chirono skills but its the best weekend I ever had fishing chirono's.:)

12. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Baby steps Bob. As long as you learn something everytime you go out, it's a plus. Everybody has a learning curve fishing chronies.

13. Donato

Donato Member

Now if I could only fish with the MASTERS, you, IRA or Scott for a few days. I bet my learning curve would be lessened a bit.
    Did you finished the garage yet? Was it windy by you this weekend?
    I plan to fish May 16-19 in the Okanongon again. Maybe we can meet up

Irafly likes this.
  14. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Absolutely! I learned more in one day on the water with Ira than I might have learned weeks out on my own. It's awesome to get out with somebody experienced who is willing to share.

Jeff Dodd, Ron McNeal and Irafly like this.
  15. Donato

Donato Member

Ira, He Da Man

Irafly likes this.