Chrome Steelhead Spitting eggs?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ak_powder_monkey, Apr 28, 2008.

1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Once they have started spitting eggs, more than likely they have been actively spawning. The act of digging the redd has a lot to do with the looseness of a skein. There are *some* conditions where that isn't true. But if the belly is flaccid and only dropping a few eggs it's a kelt. If it's full and dropping eggs you got yourself an active spawner.

Finally, hatchery fish are a completely different beast altogether. Salmo told me about a fish caught on the Cowlitz that was BRIGHT as hell, and spewing eggs like mad.

-- Cheers
    -- James

PS This is a question for the bios. I was under the impression that the red color (in the right places) as a signal to bucks that a female was ready. Unless that occurs, how does a male know that a female is ready to drop eggs? Is it a guess or otherwise?

2. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Jason,
    Kelts will sometimes still have a few eggs in them and it is still possible for them to spit eggs. I've seen it personaly.

I think the egg spewing deal with hens that are mature but not neccesarily spawning yet is like a survival mechanism. If they feel they are about to die they will start dropping their eggs. Just a theory.

3. longstick

longstick Member

Hey akpowdermonkey,
    they are fall fish the hens on that creek will stay chrome through the spawn. Fish deeper runs or holes where you can not see the bottom, you will hook less, spawners and my with sealice. It want solve the problem 100% but it will help. I was there 2nd week in may last year and we caught plenty of fresh fish. Just have to target different water.
    AKflytrout

4. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Both of these hens were caught in the same spot. The top one hard firm skeins and the bottom one dropped some eggs and had loose eggs in its belly. You just never know what you are going to get.

5. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Thats the weird thing most of the fish that were spitting eggs came from deep places off the spawning beds, in fact none of the fish we caught in shallow water seemed to do that

6. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

There are some river systems that have fish spawning clear into June.