Chum Dog

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Gobstopper, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Fished the mouth of the Vedder (In BC) a trib of the Fraser. All the fish came in with the high tide. Not great-hooked 3 landed two, but big bright fish with sea lice still attached. My friend caught 3. Mine are going in the brine tomorrow and smoker tomorrow night. Rick

2. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Just a heads-up for folks thinking of fishing Chico: the tribal nets went into the water this morning (Thurs. 11/14).

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
  4. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

Wish I had read your post Dipnet before I made the drive. I have never seen so many nets in Chico Bay. They stretched all the way across the bay in layer after layer.

Since I was there I spent an hour in the flats on the left side of the creek. There were some survivors of the net gauntlet present. Went 1 for 2 unless a tribal boat came into the flats and started banging a the side of the boat and making large splashes with an oversized plunger as they drive all the fish out of the flats and into their gill net. I guess they had to scoop up all of the fish. My blood was boiling and called it a day.

5. Dipnet

I was there about 8 a.m. on my morning walk.

I live not far from Chico and walk Chico Way for exercise. I always stop by the ramp in order to see what's going on.

The guy I spoke with said they had a 10:00 opening and I saw only about 6 boats on the water, motoring and splashing around and trying to drive fish into the shallows.

Obviously, more showed up later. :mad:

Tomorrow I think I'll hit other areas!

6. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Coho Dan and G. Hugo Boldt at work. They have permits for the next two and a half weeks.

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

It is frustrating if you're trying to fish there right now, but there has been no shortage of fish up that little creek this year. It's packed with chum all the way up to the bridge on Chico Way and I'm sure further. Not that I want to be there to see every fish get blocked and scooped up.

8. James W.

James W. Member

I'm hoping to get in on the chum tomorrow. Do they net every day now at Chico, or just on Thursdays? I have a small boat, and had planned to launch it in Chico Bay. However, it looks like I might want to adjust my plans. I'm bummed I didn't get out two weeks ago.

9. holtad

holtad Active Member

I'm going to be around the Hood Canal this weekend, down near Union, & am going to take my kayak out. Do I need to get north of HoodSport to get after some Chum or do I have a shot fishing further south, closer to the bend?

10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

You can find fish all along the canal. Pretty much every little ditch gets some fish.

11. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

I was @ chico last night, right at dusk I hook a fat boy who porpoises straight out (toward the nets) way into my backing when my reel suddenly locks up with an apparent knot in my backing...snap! so if you catch this buck it has a chartreuse shock and awe with 90 ft. of fresh outbound (greenish) and 30 yds. of backing....large reward will be paid.

12. Dipnet

I don't know anything about their schedule but they were out again today (Friday).

13. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

That's a bummer! What size leader/tippet were you using?

14. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

I think 12 lbs. of course the tippet size wasn't the issue but the surprise birds nest in my backing.

15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Right, but ideally you want your tippet light enough to break before your backing, etc would. In this case, the backing must have been weak or something.