Chum Dog

Rick Todd

Fished the mouth of the Vedder (In BC) a trib of the Fraser. All the fish came in with the high tide. Not great-hooked 3 landed two, but big bright fish with sea lice still attached. My friend caught 3. Mine are going in the brine tomorrow and smoker tomorrow night. Rick

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
Just a heads-up for folks thinking of fishing Chico: the tribal nets went into the water this morning (Thurs. 11/14).

Wish I had read your post Dipnet before I made the drive. I have never seen so many nets in Chico Bay. They stretched all the way across the bay in layer after layer.

Since I was there I spent an hour in the flats on the left side of the creek. There were some survivors of the net gauntlet present. Went 1 for 2 unless a tribal boat came into the flats and started banging a the side of the boat and making large splashes with an oversized plunger as they drive all the fish out of the flats and into their gill net. I guess they had to scoop up all of the fish. My blood was boiling and called it a day.

Dipnet

I was there about 8 a.m. on my morning walk.

I live not far from Chico and walk Chico Way for exercise. I always stop by the ramp in order to see what's going on.

The guy I spoke with said they had a 10:00 opening and I saw only about 6 boats on the water, motoring and splashing around and trying to drive fish into the shallows.

Obviously, more showed up later. :mad:

Tomorrow I think I'll hit other areas!

It is frustrating if you're trying to fish there right now, but there has been no shortage of fish up that little creek this year. It's packed with chum all the way up to the bridge on Chico Way and I'm sure further. Not that I want to be there to see every fish get blocked and scooped up.

I'm hoping to get in on the chum tomorrow. Do they net every day now at Chico, or just on Thursdays? I have a small boat, and had planned to launch it in Chico Bay. However, it looks like I might want to adjust my plans. I'm bummed I didn't get out two weeks ago.

holtad

I'm going to be around the Hood Canal this weekend, down near Union, & am going to take my kayak out. Do I need to get north of HoodSport to get after some Chum or do I have a shot fishing further south, closer to the bend?

I'm going to be around the Hood Canal this weekend, down near Union, & am going to take my kayak out. Do I need to get north of HoodSport to get after some Chum or do I have a shot fishing further south, closer to the bend?
You can find fish all along the canal. Pretty much every little ditch gets some fish.

I was @ chico last night, right at dusk I hook a fat boy who porpoises straight out (toward the nets) way into my backing when my reel suddenly locks up with an apparent knot in my backing...snap! so if you catch this buck it has a chartreuse shock and awe with 90 ft. of fresh outbound (greenish) and 30 yds. of backing....large reward will be paid.

Dipnet

I'm hoping to get in on the chum tomorrow. Do they net every day now at Chico, or just on Thursdays? I have a small boat, and had planned to launch it in Chico Bay. However, it looks like I might want to adjust my plans. I'm bummed I didn't get out two weeks ago.
I don't know anything about their schedule but they were out again today (Friday).

I was @ chico last night, right at dusk I hook a fat boy who porpoises straight out (toward the nets) way into my backing when my reel suddenly locks up with an apparent knot in my backing...snap! so if you catch this buck it has a chartreuse shock and awe with 90 ft. of fresh outbound (greenish) and 30 yds. of backing....large reward will be paid.
That's a bummer! What size leader/tippet were you using?