Circuit Breaker For Electric Trolling Motor?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by LCnSac, Apr 19, 2012.

1. up2nogood

up2nogood Member

That seems to be what most do , but for less the five dollars, what the heck.

2. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Exactly, it's a smart way to spend five dollars. Most DIY trolling motor installers might not worry but most boat manufacturers do worry. http://www.rangerboats.com/models.cfm?gid=38&mid=6596#|standard_features lists Heavy Duty 6 Gauge TM Wiring with 50 Amp Breaker. To me it's the same reason you put a $20 breaker on the circuit to your toaster. It's not to protect your $20 toaster, it's to protect your $100K+ home and your family in the VERY unlikely event something goes wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in a boat with a new trolling motor that I hadn't had time to wire up properly if the fish were biting, but by the tenth trip I would find the small amount of time and the few dollars to better protect myself and companions.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  3. up2nogood

up2nogood Member

Very good point, I don't think I would ever just ignore the manufacturers, I do think if I have trouble with the cheap version, I will make a change, but have not had a problem so far. The deal for me is I want to be thinking fish, not motors .