Clacka '05-'06 Vs '12-'14'?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by IdahoVandal, Dec 18, 2016.

1. IdahoVandal

IdahoVandal New Member

i am currently shopping for a first drift boat and I have narrowed the searches down to a Clacka 15-16 ft LP. I am trying to find out what the key differences or upgrades that have been made from the 05-06 models to the more current 2-4 year old models. I have found a couple very well cared for later models that I am sure are great boats. Those seem to be in the $5500 range. I have also found some really nice newer models, but those are more in the $7000 range. Trying to determine if the $1500-$2000 additional spent is worth going for the newer boat? Or if the price really gets you any major advancements.

Any advice on rowing advancements, or should I focus on condition?

Thanks for the help WFF.

2. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Well, you can get a "fly pod" in the newer models, I think maybe 08 & later. My 07 SSG has the tunnel hull, gulf stream bottom, & tracking channels. Works for me. And a huge improvement after replacing the standard oars with Sawyer square tops & Cobra oar locks.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    IdahoVandal likes this.
  3. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Active Member

I think you're onto a good choice in boats, provided that it matches well for the rivers and conditions you'll be using it on. That was my first choice for a boat here in SW MT when I bought my first drift boat a few years back, and I never regretted getting it.

I'm not sure exactly what year the tunnel hull and Gulf Stream bottom were put on these boats, but I would would a boat with those features on them if I were looking for a used LP Clackacraft. I'm not sure what if any other modifications were made to their boats over the years, but you could easily call one of the Clackacraft offices and ask them.

Also, you might wish to include the Clackacraft Eddy in your search for a boat. They've been on the market for a few years now, and I understand from talking to Gary Beebe, a major Clackacraft dealer in Victor, ID that they have virtually replaced the LP as far as new boats that are sold these days. I just ordered one of them myself and expect to pick it up this coming spring.

The Eddy model has the same footprint as the LP, but with a larger stern that rises higher in the water, thus allowing more water to go under the boat, and is easier to keep in position in faster moving water as you backrow.

For perspective on the pricing, you can buy a brand new Eddy, complete and ready for the river, at about $9,000 right now. I don't know the LP price new but I would think it is comparable. If you checked around I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has a new, leftover LP or Eddy boat in their inventory right now that they would sell for something considerably less than that. That wouldn't be a lot different from what you're talking about spending for a boat that's a couple or more years old.

IdahoVandal likes this.
  4. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

IdahoVandal likes this.
  5. Bryan Williamson

Bryan Williamson Willybethere

I have a 2007 '16 LP. Other than the previously mentioned Eddy (with the larger transom) the two advancements I've noticed that I would like is the walk around back brace and the additional rod holders (vs. two on my boat). I believe the Eddy still has the same tunnel hull and gulfstream bottom that the LP has. The prices on these have sure gone up since I bought mine though...wow! I could almost get out of it used for what I bought it for new.

IdahoVandal likes this.
  6. Bryan Williamson

I have a 2007 '16 LP. Other than the previously mentioned Eddy (with the larger transom) the two advancements I've noticed that I would like is the walk around back brace and the additional rod holders (vs. two on my boat). I believe the Eddy still has the same tunnel hull and gulfstream bottom that the LP has. The prices on these have sure gone up since I bought mine though...wow! I could almost get out of it used for what I bought it for new.

IdahoVandal likes this.
  7. IdahoVandal

IdahoVandal New Member

Good to know about the walk around back brace... that would be something very practical I would want. From my research thus far, it seems the newer (2-4yr old) models can be purchased nicely equipped for $7500 and then will likely depreciate $1500 or so. Beyond that, they seem to hold $5500-$6000 for quite some time if taken care of.

I am trying to be a realist that it may very well sit beside my garage and not get much use and want to sell it within a few years, so I think the sweet spot is finding a 2009-2012 for <$6500. Hopefully I can get the use I intend to out of it, but seems I can't go wrong with that formula.

My waters are pretty tame being primarily the Clark Fork, St Joe, and Coeur d Alene rivers in Idaho. I am curious to what people think about the Eddy. I have heard a few mixed reviews that they don't hold as well as the LP's but not sure if that is accurate intel.

8. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Active Member

This is what Gary Beebe has about the Eddy on his website at Mountain Drift Boats:

"Here are four reasons why the Clacka EDDY is the best driftboat on the river:

1) The wider rocker-ed stern on the EDDY allows the boat to be held in faster current. The wider stern and larger tunnel cause more lift. You can feel this when you row the boat. The harder you row, the more lift you get.

2) On larger volume rivers the rocker-ed stern and larger tunnel allow the EDDY to float over large boils and eddy fences that will cause instability in a conventional driftboat.

3) With the wider stern and larger tunnel the EDDY is more stable with a big load such as larger clients and motors.

4) The EDDY also motors like no other boat. The wider more stable stern does not let the bow come up as high when the boat is under power."

I've also talked to Matt Kelley at Clackacraft in Idaho Falls about the Eddy compared to the LP. Matt said that the Eddy holds in place better, but may not track as well as the LP. He said the Eddy is also quicker to ferry across the river than the LP.

You can get the new Eddy models with a pedestal rowers seat (called the Eddy 360) and have a walk through boat, versus the traditional bench seat that you have to step over, but I believe that version was just new this year, so you wouldn't find a used one a couple years old.

Incidentally, Gary Beebe is pretty widely known as knowing his stuff when it comes to Clackacraft's, and I would tend to believe him over what some others might say.

IdahoVandal likes this.
  9. Bryan Williamson

FWIW - I own a 2007 LP lightly used (as in 2-5 day trips down the river per year) garaged 100% of the time when not on the water I may be selling. I've taken it on an every other year trip to MT (mostly the Missouri River) and about 2 trips per year over to the Yakima. Galvanized trailer, spare tire holder, cataract counterbalance oars, spare oar, pyramid anchor, anchor holder. Blue/Black/White - Back to front.

Not sure on your timing but I won't know for another 4 weeks or so if I'm selling or not.

10. IdahoVandal

IdahoVandal New Member

Could possibly be interested if timing works out. Reach out to me when you figure things out. What would you be replacing it with?

11. Bryan Williamson

Only reason I would sell it is due to a potential move out of state (or anywhere near a use for a driftboat). I'll reach out if I decide to sell.

IdahoVandal likes this.
  12. bjornjon

bjornjon Active Member

I own an Eddy 360 and use it mostly on the rivers you mentioned. I love it. I've rowed the LP and weight forward and prefer the Eddy to those two boats. I think everything here that I've read seems to be accurate. Just wanted to let you know though that I've used it on the CDA from Prichard down, the Joe from Avery down, and the C Fork from Superior to 14 mile and it has handled all that water very well. PM me if you have any other questions.

IdahoVandal likes this.
  13. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

I would strongly suggest waiting for a used Eddy 360 to show up on CL. I watched a 2016 Eddy 360 drop from $7600 to $6500 on Helena CL last year. The walk around layout is a game changer and although they are fairly new (last couple years) they should be showing up on the used market soon enough. If you wanna get fishing and $ave then I would settle for a used LP bench model.

IdahoVandal likes this.
  14. walove

walove Active Member

If you like the walk around lay out, check out the RO deville. They been making walk around models since 08. Should be quite a few on the used market.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

IdahoVandal likes this.
  15. landlocked

landlocked Active Member

Not sure if you are still in the market, but keep an eye on the online classifieds at www.ksl.com in Salt Lake. Quite a few boats from SE Idaho and northern Utah pop up on it. My buddy just picked up a '08 16' LP in really good shape for $5500 last month, and sold me back my '05 WF 16, which I'm really happy about. Theres some good deals that pop up on there. Agree on the above posters comment on the Sawer Square Tops. If anyone has a spare set with the shoal cut blades, I'm in the market! They made another buddies old Hog Island tank feel like a sports car to row last fall!