Clackacraft Magnum

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by uncagork, May 2, 2014.

1. uncagork

uncagork New Member

I recently acquired a Clackacraft Magnum 14' with a 15hp 2 stroke motor. I'd like to be able to use it in deep rivers with the motor and shallow rivers without and also hit the lakes and protected waters of the sound. I'd like to know if It would be asking too much from one boat. Anybody have any experience with this boat?

2. WT

WT Active Member

the clack website only lists a 17 footer. is the 14 a prototype?

3. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Can't say about that particular Clack, but i've taken mine out on Fish Lake a time or two with a 55lb-thrust Minn Kota on the stern, fastened to a little platform I made to go over the anchor stanchion. Thanks to the high bow, it's really difficult to track a straight line in any wind, and eventually a SmokerCraft Alaskan solved this dilemma.

4. saffman

saffman Member

Had what I think was the original version of this boat in Aluminum made by Rogue Marine called the Stealth in a 16 footer for years. Loved it and it was very versatile. Had a 40hp jet on mine and was very capable on the Rogue (when we lived in Oregon) both up and downstream in Class 2 plus and in very low water. Little sluggish rowing but just pick your lines early. Great lake boat and casting platform with the wide open configuration. Have not been in the Clack version but if they balanced it correctly it should serve you well.

5. flyreeltor

flyreeltor New Member

Home Page:
    Longtime reader, first time poster. Great boat, wish the new ones were designed the same way. The 1980's Magnums motor and row really well - not much info on them online, but something comes up once in awhile. They built the boats for fishing tidewater and coastal rivers. Make sure your outboard is a long shaft and invest in a Clackaraft prop guard, worth every penny. I have a 16 footer with a 15hp and it is the best multi-purpose boat I've ever owned. Good find and tight lines!

6. N-forker

N-forker Active Member

John,

I had no idea you own a Clacka Magnum. You should take me fishing!

Cheers!

Karsten

7. teerex

teerex Member

Ditto as to what John said. I havethe exact same setup you have and I love it. There is also a fiberglass cutout, I believe it is called a trim plate? It will help keep the boat on plane and avoid unfortunate popping of wheelies. I have one screwed onto the transom. For drifting shallower rivers this should come off. You should also build / reinforce the transom with marine grade plywood if it needs it.

I share this boat with a friend and it backtrolls plugs (rowing) fairly well even with the wider stern. Great fly setup with the front brace, anchoring in the Columbia... Great for everything you describe, just be careful crabbing in bays or any rivers with tidal rip - the 15 will be close to maxed out, or will be with three people + gear.

8. doublebluff

doublebluff Go Beavs

I am wondering- how wide is the hull on your magnum? I want to know because I had one and I want one with similar dimensions. I liked the boat a lot.

Thanks-

9. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

Just picked up an 84' Clack Magnum, the original 'Power Drifter'. title says 15', measures 16' bow to transom. 82" wide at the gunnels, floor is 58". It's got an enormous amount of room in it.
    Bought it from a good old boy, belonged to his dad, who passed 16 years ago, been parked ever since.
    Talked to Clack about max hp/weight, said guys to drop 30 hp on them. I'm going to reinforce the transom just because, and mount a 20 hp (came with the 'planing plate' which I'll mount).. . boat will be used primarily for tooling around a 6 mile zone in tidewater chasing salmon, sea run cutts, take it to some lakes.
    Going to clean it up, beef it up here and there, redo the seating configuration, new hardware, paint the hull in and out.
    Love how quiet glass boats.
    Speakig of old Clack's, an older flyfisher on my favorite river, great guy who is a fly fishing salmon guru, rows an ancient 16' Clack, hull #2. It has seen countless salmon brought to the side.

10. onefish

onefish New Member

Clacka's rule!

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  11. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Love the Clacks. I swear if I end up moving back to the South (you know, the land of bass boats), I'll drag one down with me, add a small motor, and figure out a way to stick a trolling motor up front.

12. flyreeltor

flyreeltor New Member

Home Page:
    Holy crap Karsten, haven't been here in awhile! Yes, let's go this spring!