Classic Atlantic Salmon Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Aug 26, 2012.

1. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

MacPhearson for Spey (Blacker)

Tail is Yellow weaver (toucan sub)
    Wing is the following
    GP center tail
    Amherst Tail
    Kori Bustard
    Red goose shoulder
    GP tippets

Head is black wool
    Hook #2 blind eye limerick

[​IMG]

2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

That Amherst is hot stuff. Keep 'em coming.

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Incredible! Thank you for sharing.

4. FT

FT Active Member

Eunan,

You have come a long way from your first classic salmon flies. And as you have found out, if someone has good tying skills and knows ow to manage thread and materials so the do what he wants them to do, he can tie a good looking classic salmon fly provided he takes his time and redoes anything that doesn't look right when it is tied in. It is also obvious you have been paying attention to your tying and to what others have offered as suggestions to improve your flies. Kudos to you for doing so.

Although I know the Kelson SUN FLY is most often tied on larger hooks as a presentation fly today, it was originally tied on a hook that measured 1/2" to 2/4" in length as measured from hook bend to the eyed end of the shank. In other words, it was tied on what would be #8-#12 standard salmon irons today. It was tied for use during mid-day in bright sun during summer/fall low-water conditions. And yes, eventhough it was tied on small hooks, it still had the spiralled, multi-colored Berlin wool body and still had 6 toppings for the wing. And Kelson varied the color of the floss tag (yes he used a floss tag and extra fine oval or round tinsel tip instead of just the silver tinsel you used) to suit the river he was fishing (or the color that struck his fancy at the time). It is still a useful fishing fly today in the small sized Kelson tied it in and in the conditions he used it in. I often use in in mid-day in late summer low-water on bright days for steelhead. I usually tie it on an Alec Jackson Steelhead Iron #9 (Daiichi 2151 #8 and #10 is the same thing).

5. S Fontinalis

Here's the latest.
    Kinda like this pattern, though doing it again i'd make the wing more banded.

Hook is a Ronn Lucas Philips Limerick #5.

Generally quite happy. I'd like the wing to be a bit flatter at the back end, and also not pointing up.
    ran into trouble again with the roof as i was down to my last couple of mallards. Need some good stuff going forward.

I think generally i've progressed quite well lately in terms of the back end and the body, now my focus is going to be on the front end - roof, sides (which are a complete shambles here, also need some good teal etc) throat (which could be a fraction long on this one) and toppings.

I put a progressive rib on this one too for the first time, though you'd hardly notice it.

The magenta hackles i dyed myself, and quite happy with how they turned out too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. S Fontinalis

I've never tied it smaller than this one, but i'm inclined to give it a go smaller for steelies this year.

7. S Fontinalis

I picked up some Amgold tippets and crests recently and wanted a go at tying with them, so i tackled the Black Ranger, which is another redo of a fly i tied earlier this year.

Not sure if the cream tippets work with this fly, but overall, it was a learning experience if nothing else.

I think the body is better than my first version but still not perfect; the body hackle is once again a shambles now that i see the picture, and ribs aren't evenly spaced.
    This time i went for the open back, though i think in retrospect i'd like either the tail to be longer or the topping shorter.
    Kinda lost the horns a bit too, they're not quite parallel on both sides. Cheeks could be longer and higher, and while not looking so, are actually quite bright in color.
    First one is the Amgold variant, second one is the the regular version from earlier this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eunan

8. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Man Eunan you're a tying machine....Nicely done, I really liked your mixed wing Blacker I have never tried one, maybe this winter? Keep em coming.

9. S Fontinalis

ha ha, thanks Mark. Once i get the bit between my teeth, theres no stopping me!

10. S Fontinalis

long and low Durham Ranger 4/0 from Francis Francis.
    Used Am-gold crests for the tail and topping.
    [​IMG]

11. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Nicely done Eunan, as always.

S Fontinalis likes this.
  12. S Fontinalis

Tied this one up over the last two nights.

Everything went swimmingly until the sides....my teal is poor and the gallina was worse.
    Used sub for the green parrot in the wing; blue any yellow horns (no blue and red) Wool head (recommended by Radencich from the color plate in the book)

Pretty happy. Would have liked the wing a little lower - not enough taper off from the body will do that unfortunately.
    And the 'leggy' hackle could be shorter too!

[​IMG]

13. S Fontinalis

Again on the vintage 1/0 hook

[​IMG]

I tied the version above and later learned it was a variant i came up with. So i set to rectify the situation tonight. Unlike all the other ranger patterns, the Irish Ranger doesnt have double tippets for the wings, but instead a slab of woodie rather than the smaller tippets.

Took the blade to the head, removed the crest, woodie sides, and one of the pairs of tippets
    got some new woodie to flank the tippets (unfortunately not matched) and used the same crest that came of 'er.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]