Classic Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave McNeese, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

These are some fine examples of classic tying. I will post new pictures each week as time allows. Does anyone know or care to make a guess on the three different artists?

McNeese

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Dave, Thanks so much for your participation and all of these things you are sharing with us. Much appreciated!

3. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

Thanks for sharing the Pics with us Dave.
    I don't have a clue for the 1st and 3rd but
    the middle ones look like Syd Glasso's to me.
    Speyflyfisher

4. Dave McNeese

Right O' mate! The other two are really tough............... I'll PM you and tell you.

5. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Number one is somebodys version of a Butcher from T.E.Pryce Tannat. Don't know who the tyer is though.
    Number three is likely based on a fly originated by John Traherne, named the Indian Crow. Many people have tied variations. Paul Schmookler has one over on rareandunusual.com in the radical fly gallery. Others are scattered about the web if you dig around. I think I remember seeing another one somewhere on FeathersMc.com

TC

6. davpot

davpot davpot

Home Page:
    :beathead: On the Butcher, I would guess: Marvin Nolte or Wayne Luallen. Yes-no? That can't be a Chinn fly!

7. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Dave,

Would Syd have fished one of those on the Sol Duc? The third one looks like a pretty fishable fly. They are amazing examples. I always wonder about beauty vs. durability. I don't mean durability in the mouth of some enraged Steelhead, but days and days of MY Spey casting.

8. Dave McNeese

Hey! Yes it is Bill Chinn, well the first fly, anyway. It was tyed about 15 years ago. The third fly is Mark Waslich at age 23, also more than 10 years ago. Great guesses. Both of these flies are awesome, in that they are not flat, they have bulk to them which makes them more realistic. This is more true to form of the thousands of antique flies that I have studied. We, as U.S. students, demand slimness and small heads, but in Europe the flies have bulk because they were for fishing, not just show.

DM