Classic Reels

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by bitterroot, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

As WW indicates, Rupe Atwoods book is a fantastic and probably the best resource for those interested in J.W. Young reels. Being both fantastic and best you gotta have it. :)

TC

2. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Fantastic posts guys!

Pretty amazing to see how the flyreel has evolved over the years, and in some way's very little!

And that we still prefer to use them instead of letting them gather dust in a box or on a shelf..

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

_WW_, sonofabeech that was an awesome J. W. Young and Son's display and a lot of dropped knowledge. Thank you!

4. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

More Beaudex bits...

Hey Ken, a nice trio of Beaudex reels you have there! Oddly enough the 3-1/4" size is one that I don't have. :hmmm:

The one with the crinkle finish and the other with the smooth finish are pre-1948 reels. You can tell by the wording on the badges. In October of 1947 Youngs became a limited company and the badges were changed to reflect that with the addition of "LTD"

Here's an ad from 1959 by Garcia showing their lineup of Young reels.

[​IMG]

And another catalog page from UK retailer Alex Martin in 1953.

[​IMG]

And here's a few fun videos showing Lee Wulff Salmon fishing with a Beaudex. A curiosity of these films is that it appears that Lee Wulff is using an early lefthand reel - I've never seen one but perhaps Lee used his considerable influence to get one made or converted?

5. _WW_

More Beaudex bits...

This one is truly an amazing creature, and I gathered it up because of its Northwest connection. Designed and made by John Shaw of Grants Pass, Oregon, these reels featured a floating disc drag - of near automotive quality! Built to be used as either a fly reel or a trolling reel it gave the salmon angler a single action reel with true stopping power and was eventually manufactured for tarpon as well. Named after the river that flows through Grants Pass - The Rogue Reel.

More information is available here: http://www.oldreels.com/rogue.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

WW,
    thanks for posting the catalog page.
    any chance you have a line on the old rectangular line guides for a beaudex. mine has a substantial groove from use, but the reel is in great condition. it has the older black thin reel foot that allows me to put it on nearly any rod. it's the 3 3/8 x 7/8" version. i may just file it carefully to make sure it won't abrade my lines in the future, but a newish line guide would be better imo. any ideas?
    -mike

7. Cliff

Cliff Member

I'm a Medalist guy at heart. The duct tape keeps me honest.
    [​IMG]

8. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

nothing wrong with duct tape repairs cliff. what rod do you have that reel mounted to? looks like some classic glass,
    but i can't tell??
    -mike

9. Cliff

Cliff Member

Mike, that is one of my favorite rods. It's the first bamboo rod I bought back in 1995, from Mark Ruhe, of Bitterroot Rods. Mark closed his shop a few years ago and I'm grateful that I was able to get two of his rods before he closed. This one is his Selway model, an 8ft 5wt based on a Dickerson taper. Since it was my first bamboo rod it sort of holds a special place in my heart.

Cliff

10. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    I was able to put a couple of steelies on my 4" Beaudex Salmon this summer. Not as throaty as a Hardy but it sings pretty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up a little Martin reel that I use on my 3 wt......
    [​IMG]

11. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Damn. I love this thread. Six pages and not one Hardy. You guys rock.

12. _WW_

Hey Mike - I've had to file one of those myself and discovered that underneath the shiny silver finish it was brass. I looked through my boneyard box and don't have a square guide in there. A couple things you might do... Ebay another reel to have for parts or as a backup. Or you might check with Mill tackle - http://www.milltackle.co.uk/
    I haven't had any success getting the guy to answer my emails in the past, but bulldog seems to be able to get an annual order from him so perhaps contacting him could be an avenue.
    Good luck!

13. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

thanks WW. i guess i'll file it and talk to Ron.
    -mike

14. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I just got Pflueger GEM 2094. A sweet little reel. Can't wait to line it up and get it out on the water.

15. ralfish

ralfish Active Member