Clay's Bamboo rods.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I don't know about tapers but his 12 footers are wonderful to cast and if i was fishing a small to medium sized river i think they'd be a pleasure to fish all day

2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Adam,
    I generally agree what people said about Bob's rod here. 12' 7/8 5 sided is what I have been using. Strong tip and progressive taper. The power come from the bottom part of the rod, I particularly love to use it with Ed Ward's skagit casting style. The rotation motion is really relaxing and really make this rod shine (IMO).
    In addition to the superb functionality (feeling of fighting fish), Bob's service is excellent, and craftsmanship is just bar none!
    [​IMG]

3. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Golf if you think you want one, you might want to go ahead and place a deposit as his wait list is about a year now. I actually just placed an order with Bob but for a single hander. I'm getting a 9' 4wt built on a Powell 'distance' taper. Bob is very responsive via email and I'm sure he'd answer any question quickly. When I was discussing rods with him, he said that the splice joints result in s slightly slower rod than ferrules.

I'll probably go for one of his 13' 7/8's someday myself.

Strange coincidence - I happened to check eBay and saw a 3 1/4" Dingley Perfect had been posted an hour earlier with a reasonable BIN price. I snapped it up and the invoice came from Riverwatch... Had no idea I was buying it from Bob, just a couple days after sending him a deposit for my rod. Going to use the reel on a 3wt Anderson troutspey.

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Mark, Im suprised to hear the use of a skagit style. I would assume the rods are much more suited for light line touch and go casts. Do you cast tips on them? And, by skagit style do you mean you're using the bottom hand to leverage that lower portion of the rod?

5. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I bet you can throw tips. Bob lives on the Kispiox. It is generally known as a tip river.

8-2 Sox (9),
    cds

6. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher You're only so smart as what you choose to share.

Home Page:
    oh it definitely throws tips. and depending on the line being thrown, it can throw them really well. the airflo skagit switch 540 turns that rod into a winter coastal machine for intruders and T16. heresy...such a dirty thing to do with a classic cane rod isnt it? ;-)

you know, like Grace Kelly in reverse cowgirl. while watching adult swim. in a tub of mud.

7. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Adam,
    Like what Brian says... it throw tips very well...

for the dirty job...eh... I was using it with some really big and heavy striper flies with T14.
    I have fish this rod all day without any problem... One of the benefits of using skagit style (Ed Ward's style) is to exert less physical effort, but get the fly out there... the same reason that I am still using the Loomis Dredger 6/7 12'6.

8. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Good things come to those that wait...wish I had any semblence of patience but it is what it is..
    Well, I guess it's time to start the process and do some talking with him...looks like I'll have plenty of time to decide...Unless someone is interested in...oh never mind, that ain't going to happen!!!

9. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

oh my god, i really did not need to find out about these rods....

10. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Per the subject matter...
    I know this is a re-post, but if ever one was worthy, this one is- What a great piece on a very cool family-

11. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

I've been out with Brian a few times, and it seems everytime for the past year or so, he has had Clay's Riverwatch 12'(?) bamboo with him. Anyway, Last fall, I tried casting it and I didn't really like it. I really didn't know what all the hype was. Well, after being an apprentice under Master Chou, and being able to cast much better.... I recently Tried the rod out again. The thing was awesome!!! The magical spell of the Bamboo Cupid put an arrow deep into my Spey Brain. Not sure what Brian had on the rod, but it launched sink tip and all.

My take/impression is the rod loads different and the "feel" is "numbed". You form your D loop and then don't realy feel the rod load like you would graphite, but then you cast your forward stroke and it has this reserve power that launches the line. The whole time I was thinking, "how the hell did I just do that?... Must be a fluke". Then I would do it again and again. Now I want one.

12. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

LOL

13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I don't have one of Clay's rods, but instead have an old Sharpe's. The casting stroke is different from graphite but something you can work out with a little time. The weight of the rod is another matter however. It is too tiring for me. So much so that I doubt I will fish very much with it - if at all.

14. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Well I certainly like my 12'1"-7/8 Suskwa 6 sided rod. I like it so much I have a 13' 6 sided 8/9 being made. I will only have the spliced joints. It takes me a bit to tape it up because my hands hurt from arthritis but I leave mine together and hang it on the beam over my head. I can just look up and see it several hundred times aday which pleases me a great deal.

On my 7/8 a 400 scandi or a 450 skagit head is very nice. I think it is a great stick for skating dries. My Olson gear and pawl reel weighs 10.2 oz empty and with a 125yds of 30#, a Ridge running line and a Compact scandi head it balances just right.

15. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Yes the splice joints are killer. When I get one, I will only have the splice joints as well. Works of art themselves.