click pawl reelz

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sean Beauchamp, Nov 13, 2009.

1. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:

2. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

If you go to tjs bear den and look at classic fly reels the have some that are made oversea. They look like a ST. George. I have the #2 and getting a #3. They have Salmon reels for around $160.00 new.
    I love mine and I have only heard great thing about them from other site. Look then up!

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Sean,

First of all, there ain't no such thing as a click pawl reel in as much as there is no such part to be found on any of them called a "click." Click is the sound made by as spring and pawl reel as the pawl drags across the gear wheel under the tension provided by the spring.

That said, you've got some good suggestions in this thread. I haven't found the Hardy Viscount that easy to find in steelhead sizes. I have 3 of the Viscount Salmon reels and am actually partial to them above the Marquis Salmon No. 2 even tho Viscounts are cheaper reels. I'm an advocate of inexpensive fly tackle when it suits the purpose, and use a few $20 - $50 trout reels, but other than the Pflueger Medalist, decent steelhead reels are never cheap. Even the less expensive old brands go for a serious piece of change when I look on Ebay.

WW,

Nice collection you have there, and it looks like you take good care of them as well.

Sg

4. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Well said! Sg,

I agree, there are more interesting reels than Marquis,
    I have a smaller Allcocks reel. solid biult from 1930'. It is also a true large arbor reel, stop hard running fish just fine...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

If you like the classic looking pawls with a big scream, check out William's reels (Inland). 'Olsen reels.' I'm sure he'd be happy to build one for $200.00 ;)

6. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

Inland will build one, but about 8 times the price you suggest (tongue-in-cheek?), and a 6 month wait. I am not sure how he does it, but the sound is almost scary. I jumped when I pulled a little line off Poppy's reel at the Sandy Clave. It makes a Hardy green with envy.

7. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

What I think you have there is a Young's Pattern No. 9 General Spinning Reel made for Allcocks which they identified as reel number 8937. Basically it is a wide drum center pin reel.
    Seeing the inside would confirm it. Does the inside of the spool have four 'spokes'? Is the pawl mounted to a bar and activated with a lever on the outside of the backplate?

J. W. Young & Sons built reels for practically everyone. Milwards, Allcocks, Cummins, Gamages, Farlows, Foster Bros., Sage, Garcia, Orvis...you get the picture. There is even evidence that they produced limited reels for Hardy.

8. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    It is! WW.

Good eye. My friend who restored this reel told me it could be used in either way. In this particular reel there is no line guard with it. I am not a collector like my friend, so I have very limited information about this reel. The info on back of the reel : S. Allcocks & CO LTD
    REDDITCH ENGLAND REGD TRADE MARK with a stag illo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Riffling Hitch

Riffling Hitch Member

I like it yuhina, great with the fenwick. Who said large arbor was a new thing. I really like the ones like the marquis with a palming rim.
    The SA's are a deal and you can pick up a system 10 or 11 within your budget and it would work great on your rod. I have a system 11 and it balances a 12' 6" rod great with all the room needed.

Russell

10. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

WW, what rod(s) do you match that Gordon to? Can it hold the big ol' rope that an 8wt spey throws?

11. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I would have to say no. However, although rare, you sometimes see wide spool versions of these come up for sale which might hold a Skagit head for an 8wt.
    I've mounted this reel on 10' 7 & 8wts of the single hand variety and for a short time on a 12' 6wt two hander. I was given a 3-5/8" Perfect which worked out better for the short spey but the reel was awesome for the singlehanders...in fact I plan on doing it again this summer!

The reel is marked at 3-1/2" But this is the outside diameter of the reel. Since it is a fully caged reel the actual spool diameter is more like 3-3/16"

If you want to go vintage without the cost of buying an old Hardy you could try a 4" Beaudex wide spool...probably outlast a Hardy and will surely out last you. They go for under $100 all the time on the bay.

Most of mine come from England. Sometimes with old sticky and rotting silk line on them and almost always filled with what appears to be dried up old wagon axle grease. What is wrong with those people! Takes a little time to clean them up but after you do they usually purr like a new one. A testament to their original quality. Large spindles, hardened pawls and gears, and virtually unbreakable springs...I was sold the first time I opened one up.

12. Nozzelnut

Nozzelnut New Member

Just curious, what's the name of the red grease you guys are using?

Thanks

13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Quantum Hot Sauce

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Show off

15. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves