click pawl reelz

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sean Beauchamp, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

That`s a cool reel WW . I like the pillars and line guard . Is the reel foot "L" shaped ?

2. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Yep...the line guard was why I had to have it!
    Pretty much all stamped metal with all the shiny stuff stainless steel.
    Notice the nylon gear! Yet it still clicks when line pays out. The pawl has two slots for converting the hand. The badge looks like it was hammered out in someone's garage.
    I think these were pretty much a inexpensive blue collar reel back in the day...1960s?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Here is a F. Steans & Coy from New Zealand with the maker's name on the inside of the winding plate. A 3-7/8" reel in the style of a Hardy Perfect...so much so that it is rumored Hardy litigated to stop their production.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/1385

Noz,

The link above has great information about cleaning reels...
    Hope this help. Mark

5. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Nice looking reel! WW

Regard to the similarity issues, I remember it happened to Orvis CFO I too. Can't remember which company though...:hmmm:

6. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Awesome Reel WW. I love my "Click and Pawl Reel" as well. OH According to one of our technical guys-- Salmo G They are not called click and pawl reels. I just read this from another post. I never heard the term spring and pawl. Anyone else?

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=302752

7. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Tomayto, tomawto...
    You never know what it is that will get some one going! :)

The term is not quite as inaccurate as he thinks. There are lots of methods to getting a reel to click. There are the Plueger type plunge pin designs that have a spring behind the plunge pin but no pawl – these still click. I’ve handled a lot of reels including one by Wilby that has the gear on the spool and a specially shaped spring to engage the gear instead of a pawl, yet it clicks right along.

Earlier designs incorporated what is called a “caliper check.” Spring and pawl of a different configuration used extensively at the turn of the previous century but still in use by Ocean City et al in the 50s. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised to see the configuration still in use today by a manufacturer somewhere. Replacement of parts due to wear is troublesome to say the least.

Two examples of the Ocean City caliper checks from the 50s:

[​IMG]

And exactly where does that 'click' come from? Like Salmo _g, I had always assumed it was from the interaction of the pawl and gear.
    But here is one with a nylon gear:

[​IMG]

This reel has a very soft sound on the retrieve. The type of sound you would expect with a nylon gear - muted, mushy sounding. On the pay out there is a very distinctive, louder, metallic click which drowns out completely the pawl and nylon gear sound! The sound has to come from the top corner of the pawl hitting the spring. This revelation gives another meaning to "tuning the springs."

One of the last reels that Young made included the typical flat bent spring to a pawl and also a disc drag. You have the option of using either independently or together in tandem. Someday I'll get my hands on one of these!

Click and pawl, or spring and pawl...everyone knows we're not talking disc drag.

[​IMG]

8. Brian Thomas

I have a Penn Freshwater 4 that employs a similar system .

9. inland

inland Active Member

Kineya is using that style of caliper spring. Several reels today use a variation of a caliper- Hodge and Sons (SD Design) and Saracione being two that come to mind. Either to make a nice sound or actual over-run check.

I think the Brits have a good term for these types of 'drag' systems by calling it a 'check mechanism'. Covers most of the bases.

I am partial to the term "gear and pawl" however any of the common names work.

William

10. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Saracione! Yikes! Out of my budget.bawling:

And here is one that may be similiar too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Hey WW, I'm not expert, but after looking at ebay and other places at these reels, I think that picture is a 4" beaulite salmon (young or shakespear).

I just picked up a 1540 for under $100, and a 4" beaudex for $15. See how they are once I receive them. I may have the start of another addiction...

12. Brian Thomas

I have a 1540 and love it . I prefer it over my Hardy Salmon # 2 . The JW is sturdier , heavier , and LOUDER .

I also prefer it over my Sage 3600D , which cost me about seven times what I payed for the 1540 .

13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Nope...I don't have a Beaulite. It's a 4" Beaudex which dates from before the Beaulite, in fact I believe the Beaudex evolved into the Beaulite when the market started demanding lighter reels for the graphite rods. Here is a closeup of it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In fact I'm pretty partial to them...here's a few of the ones I have:
    [​IMG]

I also use a few of the Pridex models which are the same reel without the tension regulator...great dryline reels!

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Beauchamp, for what what line size?

Click pawl/spring pawl reels are great fun, by the way; though I like my large arbor reels, I'm starting to go retro on some of my sticks . . .

15. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Ahh, that explains it. Seems someone messed with the tension lever on this reel. NO wonder I got it for so cheap.

[​IMG]