click pawl reelz

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sean Beauchamp, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Isn't this actually a rare morf of the marquis that they ran for awhile, but not a new one that they are now producing? The new ones are rumored to be petty good, and have a different reel seat than this older model-

2. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

That may be! I haven't kept up with everything they're doing - can anyone? They morph some of their reels as often as I change socks, or so it seems.
    I hope they have gone back, or forward to something besides those synthetic innards. Not everything Hardy does is a great idea. This would be an example of poor choice in engineering, although the bean counters were probably thrilled with it.

3. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

About 10 or so years ago they produced the 9/10/11 or something like that Marquis. As recall it had something funky in the inside or the pawl reel. I wasn't impressed with the Disk model, could be that is what we are looking at.

4. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Not that much to keep up with really. This is a short run marquis that didn't last long because it was not the best design , I don't see any plastic either, though I can't say for sure, and wont since I dont know .-Pretty obvious you have a bone with hardy, would be nice to see it at least stay accurate on the descriptions of their reels...
    I have a JW young with plastic in it, they all make a mistake from time to time

5. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

The Mauqis pictured is definatly an "older" style reel. Brass foot is a dead giveaway. New ones dont have brass feet. Hardy made the marquis with that style check for a while in all sizes I believe. Its not a disc model. Its some sort of synthetic material and they werent the best design. They functioned fine if taken care of well but the ones I have used all seemed to be a little funky. The newer ones have the standard dual opposing spring pawl setup . there a straightforward design that get the job done. The marquis' are great reels And as far as hardy morphing there reels alot... I would have to disagree. Sure like any reel maker they try new things. Some stick some dont. There reel designs and checkwork in the perfects and other models have remained pretty standard for quite a few decades from about the 30s on. As well as being duplicated by many other reel manufacturers. Trying to keep up with the differing designs is certainly no harder than trying to keep up with other makers. JW Young , Farlows and even Dingley were known to have several variations when it came to reel design and checkwork.Probably more so than hardy. How many times have you heard "is this a JW Young" or "Is this a Dingley made reel" There all fine reels and all had some designs that didnt quite work as well as others.

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Probably been said (at least two or three times) but what 'bothers me' about Hardy reels is the cost vs what really has to be the 'manufacturing costs.' I have NO PROBLEM with folks making a profit, but I suspect even the Mafia would like to be in on this 'spread.'

fae

7. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I don't have a bone with Hardy. Last time I counted I have six of them. Just not fond of the style of check used in the second Marquis I posted...plastic cam, plastic/synthetic 'O' ring that it adjusts.
    The reel I have with that style of check had to be modified to operate properly. The design failed and to their credit they quit using it. The intention of the posts were to make people aware that they might want to get a look at the insides just so they know exactly what it is they're buying. I see a lot of Marquis reels listed with no pics of the check...buyer beware.
    As for keeping up with what Hardy does, there is a thread on a different forum about Bougles and their different handles and reels seats on the same series.

Young and Dingley supplied reels for a host of other companies. Most Dingleys are stamped inside but Young simply badged the reels with the buyers stamp or label and didn't put their own mark to them. A common practice back in the day and one that Hardy has done a little bit of themselves. Hardy reels are nice and I've only worn out one of them...but are they 400% nice?

[​IMG]

8. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

Im aware of the supplying of reels for other companies. Fish several examples myself. Theres also quite a few threads on this other forum with titles such as "Dingley checks" "youngs checks" "farlows checks" Dingley seats" "Dingley handles" etc. etc.......