C'mon! Somebody throw us a bone with a report.

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by robl, Mar 2, 2012.

1. robl

robl Member

Some of us have to fish vicariously sometimes. Someone has to have been out to the lakes since yesterday. Hopin' for some reports of killer fishing this weekend.

It'll be a few more weeks before I get out there.

Tight lines.

2. knotcaster

knotcaster New Member

last weekend i did a float down the upper yak (elensburg) and saw a couple adult skwalas on the water, fishin was still a lil tough, it was a nice sunny day but the water was still a lil cold. used a stonefly with a pink worm trailer. all they were biting on was the pink worm. i have also been fishing the lower yakima (tricities) and have come up empty handed every day, still early though. Up at Ringold the steelhead fishing is happening, ive been trying to fly fish it but the flaoters are catchen them like noones business. thats all i got though, good luck.

3. knotcaster

knotcaster New Member

and now i realize this is the still water thread XD oh well.

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

No matter. Always good to hear from someone that has actually cast a fly somewhere.

5. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
  6. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Nice report Yellowlab. Thanks. And you take great pics.

Wayne

7. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks, the iphone takes some fairly good photos, not bad for a camera phone?!

8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Water temps were 40 degrees yesterday at Quincy Lake. I ran into Irafly and Troutpocket yesterday at Quincy as I was being chased off the lake by the wind. I fished Thursday with Ira on Burke and got "tutored" on the use of bead-eye mini leech-things. Friday at Quincy I caught every fish on William Servey's Drunken Dragon.

Today is supposed to be windier than yesterday so I opted to sit it out and fish tomorrow.

I too noted green bloodworms and wondered why.

9. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    I think turnover hasn't occurred and the oxygen levels in the water haven't saturated into the bloodworms yet...

10. jwg

jwg Active Member

At 46 degrees, I think turnover has already occurred.

Folks have argued about turnover on this forum before.

Here is my take.

At 39 degrees, water density throughout the water column is equal, and turnover can occur. With all our wind, and temperatures up to 46, it must have occurred.

The clouds of daphnia reported by yellow lab on felt soul are also indicative I think.

Spring progression goes turnover, algal blooms, clouds of Daphnia, as a cause and effect process. Turnover puts nutrients in the water, feeding the algae which bloom under the improving sunlight. Daphnia feed on algae, so then they bloom, eventually clearing the water.

I don't know much about green vs red bloodworms though.

Jay

P.S. the rise of rotting bubble covered vegetation off the bottom from the previous season, making mucky water, happens later in the spring in warmer water.

11. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Jay, I believe you are correct, I was thinking of Quincy and Dusty, which were probably on their way to convert due to slight higher altitude and or depth of the lakes. Definitely a good mix of Daphnia and Chironomids the first day, about 50/50.

12. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

The Mrs, the dog, & I fished Pass yesterday (03/02) for a few hours in the afternoon. It was cold, breezy, and drizzly. I figured a little wind/rain chop on the surface might make the trouts cooperate, but no dice. Not a single take. Saw one guy in a float tube land a nice bow just North of the boat launch, but that was it. I really need to fish Pass with someone who knows the lake better and sneak a peek through their fly boxes. I tried leeches, buggers, dragon nymphs, sculpins all in different sizes & colors, with no luck. Starting to wonder if I'm just doing it wrong after the past few trips on Pass with little to no success.

13. jwg

jwg Active Member

yellow lab,

I am glad you have debunked the banana myth* once and for all and documented it on your felt soul site!

I enjoyed your report and especially the photo of gullet samplings.

Jay

*banana myth: you cannot catch fish if you have bananas in your boat.

14. aaronk

aaronk Member

Breck, I think I ran into you at the launch, I was pulling out with the blue pontoon. Sorry to hear you guys didn't fare any better than I did!

15. snoopy-pole

snoopy-pole New Member

well the fish at beaver were cooperating this morning. however the weather at rattlesnake was not. (wind waves+float tube=I go home.)