Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Coffee Pot

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  IveofIone 
#1 ·
I spent the better part of three days at Coffee Pot Lake. The weather was beautiful. The lake was not crowded. The guys with the boats all seem to go the upper end and leave the launch area to the pontoon boats and float tubes.
The fish as usual are big and strong. It seemed to me that the ratio was more toward the big fish this year. I caught a dozen fish and lost that many. Half were in the 20 inch range and THICK. Usually lake fish this size just bull you around but many of them jumped and were super active.
I used an intermediate line and black or red/black buggers. In the evening I went with a slow sink tip and cruised the weed beds and picked up a few fish that way.
It was a great weekend I could have stayed a week but work, the evil mistress, was calling me home.bawling:
Blessings
jesse clark

#3 ·
Jesse, thanks for the report. I came here to post one as well, but I will just add mine to yours. I hoped to see you and John there yesterday, but missed you I guess. I don't get out much these days and I haven't been fishing since last year so it was really a great time.
We hit the water at about 7:30 and came off at dark. Since it was our first time to CP we decided to fish the entire lake perimiter just to learn the lake and we had a blast. Even when we caught some fish we kept moving as it was kind of a recon day.
Weather was amazing. Since I was in my pram I ended up fishing in shorts and t-shirt most of the day. Water temp ran from 39-43 depending on where you were at on the lake. Also, the geese were so loud at times that it was almost annoying, but that lake is incredibly beautiful in its own way. The rock cliffs are really beautiful.
I was amazed at the fish. We had both some dark ones that didn't fight as well and some amzaing jumpers that just refused to come in. But you are right, all-in-all the fish were terrific. I tried just about everything but mostly stuck with a black bugger as well. Blood worm took a few fish, but we were constantly moving to see the lake which wasn't too conducive to that style of fishing.
Never saw any real bug activity, so I think it might be just a bit early still with the temps still a bit cold.
On a side note, I did have my liscence and boat checked by an enformcement officer for only the second time in all my years of fishing. Very nice guy, nice to see him out there.
Mike

#4 ·
Mike, I tried to get back to you.We were there yesterday also.We got on the water early, only one person was there other than us.We were in the14ft tan boat with a Merc.Water is a little lower than ladt year, so the far end channel isnt passable by boat.We fished there mostly and caught many nice ones.Water is not far from turning.I got 37-38 degrees.We left at about 11am and went to Sprague and caught some real nice ones there too.My cousin lost a BIG fish there.Beatiful day, weather wise.

#5 ·
Yeah we chatted. That is the crazy thing about a webiste like this. You can chat with someone online and never even meet them. Then you meet them in person and don't realize who they are. I was in the black Koffler Pram with a buddy and we were working our way up the rock wall when you came by. You told us you were heading to Sprague and I thought who is crazy enough to leave this type of fishing.
Glad you had a good time at both. I will shoot you a pm.
Mike

#6 ·
I was there camped in the travel trailer in the parking lot.. It is interesting that we were all on the lake and did not know. I fished most of the time in the big bay where the launch is and the narrows area just out to the big rock wall. I was in a blue 8' pontoon.
Blessings
jesse clark

#9 ·
Ivan, You told me you had your nose to the grindstone and were too busy to even tie 10 flies in the next 8 weeks. Far be it from your current fishing buddies to get you in trouble and maybe have to miss the fling because your work was not done.
Blessings
jesse

#10 ·
Ive, you may not believe this, but I actually felt pretty guilty about that while I was on the water. The truth is it was my birthday, and while I did know I was heading out a week in advance, my wife secretly contacted three other guys and they organized it and drove, took me out, etc. I talked to John a few days before looking for a report so I thought he and Jesse would be there, but didn't think about calling you until I hit the water. So while I know you are just giving us crap, I honestly felt guilty on the water for not giving you a call.
If I brng the port-a-grill and steaks next time can we still be friends? :eek::eek::confused:

#11 ·
Just rattlin' your cage guys. Mike, any time you get out it is good news and I'm really happy for you. That was a fine birthday present. We still haven't eaten January's steaks yet so bring them along and we'll have a first class shore lunch.

I hope to get down to Eloika next week and bang on the crappies. By then I should have all the new counter tops and tile installed in the kitchen and will be basking in 'attaboy's' and brownie points!

Ive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.