Coffee

I hear you about checking out thrift stores; I don't like being in them in the first place - my jammies are too clean. Seriously though, I watched a couple videos on roasting techniques and read one about using a heat gun. I presume you're not doing this in your kitchen? Does your Harbor Freight heat gun have speed/heat controls? Thanks for the response!

Don't think I'll be going down @Evan Burck's 55 lb bulk bag purchase, my goodness man, I bet your places smells wonderful when you're busy roasting.
I do it in the garage. Roasting coffee smells like burnt popcorn.

You guys like to make sheet hard don't you?...Oh you enjoy it! that's cool! I make sheet hard too...but other stuff...I don't have to have great coffee every time kinda like not having to have great sex every time...cuz it ain't happening...but at least it happens... ;)

You guys like to make sheet hard don't you?...Oh you enjoy it! that's cool! I make sheet hard too...but other stuff...I don't have to have great coffee every time kinda like not having to have great sex every time...cuz it ain't happening...but at least it happens... ;)
Nothing about it is hard. I spend a few mins a day swapping out the beans in my roaster. A French Press with good electric burr grinder isn't a very labor intensive way to make coffee either. I save so much money doing all this (roughly $3-4/lb for my beans in 55lb bulk... compared to $15+ for good fresh roasted beans at the store) that it all pays off to go this route for me.

Buzzy

I don't like to make "sheet hard", man. But when I'm home or in fish camp, I do like to have good coffee. A friend of mine roasted some beans when we were visiting and then made coffee from them. It was soooooo good. Yes, way more work than opening a can of Folgers. When my wife or friends and I are in a restaurant and I order coffee, I'm almost always disappointed in the sheet they serve. Maybe someday I'll wise up and stop ordering sheet coffee in restaurants.

I don't like to make "sheet hard", man. But when I'm home or in fish camp, I do like to have good coffee. A friend of mine roasted some beans when we were visiting and then made coffee from them. It was soooooo good. Yes, way more work than opening a can of Folgers. When my wife or friends and I are in a restaurant and I order coffee, I'm almost always disappointed in the sheet they serve. Maybe someday I'll wise up and stop ordering sheet coffee in restaurants.
Most restaurants and stores are selling stale coffee. It's the predominant flavor most people recognize in a cup of coffee, and why sweeteners/coffee mate are so popular (to cover up that bullshit).

Perhaps you misunderstand..espresso is a thing for me. I had my first dematasse' cup of a double machiato in 1979 and never looked back...but I pay extra for small roasters coffee...don't have a burr grinder just a plebian one and a very nice french press...

Buzzy

Perhaps you misunderstand..espresso is a thing for me. I had my first dematasse' cup of a double machiato in 1979 and never looked back...but I pay extra for small roasters coffee...don't have a burr grinder just a plebian one and a very nice french press...
Not the first time I didn't understand something you've posted :rolleyes:

I hear you about checking out thrift stores; I don't like being in them in the first place - my jammies are too clean. Seriously though, I watched a couple videos on roasting techniques and read one about using a heat gun. I presume you're not doing this in your kitchen? Does your Harbor Freight heat gun have speed/heat controls? Thanks for the response!

Don't think I'll be going down @Evan Burck's 55 lb bulk bag purchase, my goodness man, I bet your places smells wonderful when you're busy roasting.
I have been doing it in the garage too. Or on the (covered) porch. The chaff is a bit messy and it's certainly not something you want to do inside. My heat gun has a high and low. After trying it a couple different ways, I'm using only high but I preheat the bowl a bit and keep the nozzle further away (2-3") for the first 3 minutes, then go closer (like 1") for the remainder stirring with a wooden spoon the whole time. Average time is 14-20 minutes for a half pound of greens. Haven't tried a bigger batch yet.

Seeing and smelling the coffee as it goes through the different stages is pretty cool. My favorite part is the tan stage where it smells like baking bread. Yum!

If you make espresso and french press at home, I have a feeling you'll be surprised in the difference a good grinder makes. More consistent and proper grind for the brew method used = better coffee. I bought the same grinder as Evan after a bit or research.