Coffee

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Creatch'r, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Jojo

Jojo Active Member

Evan, how long have you had that coffee grinder? I'm in the market for a new one and that one looks good. I do believe in getting a good grinder and they usually aren't cheap. We bought this Burr one (link below) for over $75 and it worked great for about a year and then broke. My husband fixed it and then it broke again so i gave up using it. So now I have Starbucks grind my french roast and i end up wasting coffee that way because when i get low i buy more french roast and then start using the fresh grind and end up throwing out the other because it's old.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Grinde...512661741&sr=1-8&keywords=Burr+coffee+grinder

2. Jojo

Jojo Active Member

Hahahaha @Skip Enge . I know what you mean though. When we would go visit my mother in law she to made Folgers in a Mr. Coffee and it was bad enough that she used Folgers but she also made it weak! So I started bringing my own coffee and press and making my own coffee. I didn't care if it seemed rude. I could not drink that stuff she made and i need my coffee.

I use an Oomph, which is like the Aeropress. It travels easily. Doesn't need filters. And makes great coffee.

3. Trapper

Trapper Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    JoJo. The burr grinder in my photo is the one Evan provided a link to. It makes a very uniform flake for my press.

4. Skip Enge

Skip Enge Active Member

I picked up a Bodum stainless french Press years ago...and love it...I am aware of Burr grinders...like I am aware of the value of a Vitamix or commercial blenders...but I just can't allocated the room on the small kitchen counters...We already have stuff stowed away ...We need a 400 square ft kitchen! buit that ain't happenin'!

Jojo likes this.
  5. Jojo

Jojo Active Member

I have a small kitchen too and one of the reasons we went to the Aeropress and Oomph press is so we didn't have a coffee maker sitting on the counter. We keep our Vitamix hidden in a drawer built especially for heavier kitchenware. @Trapper have you had that grinder longer than a year? I don't mind spending extra on a good grinder but i want to know it will last, unlike the one i bought.

6. Trapper

Trapper Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I just got it a week ago.

7. Skip Enge

Skip Enge Active Member

Good Morning! coffee.jpg

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Had that one for over a year. We clean it about once a month. Still going strong.

9. scifidelity

scifidelity Active Member

When I go camping/ backpacking/ fishing, I simply weigh and grind my beans ahead, store in a airtight container, and bring a few Chemex bonded filters (natural/ unbleached). I use a Snowpeak 700 mini pot to boil the water and a Snowpeak pour over stand (collapsible). I bring my MSR dragonfly stove and white gas bottle, though an MSR pocket rocket with butane canister would be much more compact.

https://www.rei.com/product/100184/snow-peak-folding-coffee-pour-over-brewer?

mtskibum16 likes this.
  10. Skip Enge

Skip Enge Active Member

11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I have the same one too (thanks Evan). After a ton of research people seem to be happy with its performance and longevity. It's the consumer end of a commercial brand so durability should be good. Oversized motor and replaceable burrs. I've read the burrs should be good for hundreds of pounds of coffee before needing replacement. I believe everything else is replaceable/rebuildable too.

Nice setup! I got the same grinder and have that kettle in my Amazon wishlist. We use a french press on the weekends and I use an Aeropress at work now.

But the wife still likes an auto drip machine for the mornings. Our Mr. Coffee is on it's last leg so I started searching for a replacement. Thanks to my new-found good coffee appreciation, I just ordered a Technivorm Moccamaster auto drip. They retail at like $309(!!!) and have been jumping between $250 and $300 on Amazon. Dropped to $225 yesterday and I pulled the trigger. A little spendy, but they are SCAA certified (the correct brew temp/time), hand made in the Netherlands, and proven to last decades. Supposed to brew a great cup.

Jojo likes this.
  12. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

That's a pretty cool camping setup!

scifidelity likes this.
  13. napawino (Roger Craft)

napawino (Roger Craft) Kicked

Snohomish County, sometimes Missoula County
    You guys are pretty fancy. I buy Costco Kirkland Columbian Roast, and make it in whatever I have at hand. At home, a Cuisinart drip maker, in the field, I have an old school "percolator" for the fire or the camp stove. I like my coffee black and strong, just like my women. j/k

14. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I have found that well brewed fresh roasted coffee is on a whole new level, and it's hard to go back. It's similar to making the jump to micro brews. After coming to love a good IPA, it's pretty hard to enjoy and Ice House.

15. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Sounds like I need to stop by for a cup of this black gold and see what all the fuss is about

mtskibum16 likes this.