Coffee

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Creatch'r, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Can't beat a Jet Boil for making hot water in camp, camper, or the boat. Then pick your favorite between a French press or Melita cone filter. I like French press, but don't care to clean it, so I opt with drip through a cone filter. If you want more than you'll drink in a single sitting, after pouring boiling water into the coffee maker of your choice, boil some more water and pre-heat a Stanley thermos before adding coffee to it, and it will stay hot all day.

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I might take a thermos with me for a one-day fishing trip.
    Thanks all, for the info on the Aeropress. I've been hoping to learn about a better way than the filterless drip cone I was taking with me on camping trips. On a cold morning, by the time the coffee finally ran thru it into my cup, it was getting cold already. I'd bring a baggie of fresh ground Colombian beans from home (never French roast, as its way too bitter and dark for my tastes, since I drink my coffee black), so at least I wasn't drinking instant.

3. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Jet Boils are high tech cool, and hard to beat. I was impressed when Starbucks came out with their instant coffee packets. They were/are pretty good tasting. I love french press coffee. For an old school cool, I keep a Kelly Kettle in the DB and for car trips. It'll make hot water in a couple minutes using twigs and small wood.
    kellyboil2.jpg 81sR5-Z11oL._SL1500_.jpg

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  4. Darby

Darby Active Member

After 20+ years of deploying to third world shit-holes and tasting every kind of coffee, the best I’ve ever had was from a little family owned roaster in Kona, HI. I used to buy from them by the case before I went back overseas.

https://www.sugaikonacoffee.com/

Old406Kid likes this.
  5. DukeCB

DukeCB Active Member

Creatch'r, I discovered the GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker before my Washington PCT hike. It makes coffee making quick and clean and it tastes the same as brewing at home. I was tired of having to pack the odd sized Melitta cone in my backpack and found the GSI Outdoors filter. It can be stored/folded inside your jetboil (or most other cookpots). Just snap it on the coffee cup or mug you are using, add a paper filter and coffee, and pour in the hot water. It is easier to clean up than a French press because you don't have to use water to clean it out. Just lift the paper filter and used grounds out and put it into the trash. You can get one on A. Prime for $10. I gave one to my daughter and her boyfriend before they did the entire PCT and they immediately found it to be a must have item. This will solve your coffee dilemma while also being very minimalist.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Ron McNeal likes this.
  6. Skip Enge

Skip Enge Active Member

worst i ever had was at the intourist Hotel in Khaborovsk, USSR...followed by the Boyds in the staff room at the museum I worked in...instant reflux...might have worked as a paint stripper...

DimeBrite and Charles Sullivan like this.
  7. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

You might check out the Italian portable ceramic burr grinder all-in-one drip coffee maker, the Cafflano. It has an adjustable grind. I wish they combined it with a french press instead of a stainless screen drip funnel and I wish it came with a drink lid, but it does a nice job of portable grinding with minimal to no mess.

http://www.cafflano.com/product_klassic.php?TM=2

8. jamma

jamma Active Member

Just a personal insight into my own contradictions,I worked the graveyard shift for 30+ years and never drank one cup of coffee.Love the smell but can't stand the taste.

Old Man likes this.
  9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I think you misspelled beer...

David Loy, jersey, Old406Kid and 6 others like this.
  10. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Man up and just use some ground espresso like dip.

I'm a drip cone type. Many of our local roasters use them in the coffee shops so it can't be too bad.

11. karnage

karnage Have you swung a fly today?-

i have drank coffee everyday over the last 30 years

12. Jim Travers

Jim Travers Member

Just try throwin' in a big horseshoe dip!! 1/2 tobacco and 1/2 coffee grounds!!! It's called the farmboy flush!!! Or the cowboy cleanse!!! Gets ya running to the outhouse in no time!!!

Creatch'r likes this.
  13. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Roasting your own beans certainly ups the coffee geekery. . . but it is really easy and makes a huge difference. Like baking your own bread instead of eating packaged . . . or tying your own flies instead of buying them.

I got started about a year ago using an air popper and green beans from https://www.sweetmarias.com/

thatguyryry likes this.
  14. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

15. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

Thanks for all the info guys gonna do a little research on all the suggested units tonight after work. Maybe a coffee clave is in order? Or maybe an "everything but angling" retreat where we just sip single malt, smoke cigars, drink coffee and talk about benchmade reels and seal skin socks instead of fish ?

Rob Ast, DimeBrite and Yard Sale like this.