Coffee

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Creatch'r, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Craig Pablo

Craig Pablo Active Member

Home Page:

Plus one on the bullshit dark roast. A PROPER medium roast is the only way to go. Much more body, and finishes way better.

https://www.coffeetraders.com/index.cfm?action=storefront.productCoffee_page&product=organic-treasure-of-the-andes&cat_idx=1&subcat_idx=5

my current flavor, it changes every so often though.

Another favorite

https://store.coffeebean.com/coffee/costa-rica-la-cascada-tarrazu-coffee

One last thing, burr grinders are the only way to go, don't bother with those horseshit electric blade grinders. Try to use as soon as possible after grinding, for sure by the end of the day. Enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. Kenneth Yong

Kenneth Yong Member

Here in the homeland of the espresso, where coffee is just below God and mummy, my fly-fishing friends and I craftily plan our day such that when it's time to take a break, we're near a bar, preferably next to the river, so that we can have ourselves a professionally made shot of coffee. I kid you not. I imagine gear anglers do the same thing.

For some reason, there's ALWAYS (well, almost always) a bar near the river. For example on my beloved little spring creek all of 15 miles long, I can rely on at least 5 coffee break locations without even trying to hard. Come on over and I'll happily show you .

Kenneth

3. quilbilly

quilbilly Big Time Hater

Word....

When I fished in Italy, the 'coffee' was great, also had the best 'shore lunch' ever with a 'nice Chianti' too.
    Quite civilized, even if getting a fishing license was like something out of a Monty Python movie....
    :)

4. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

That’s pretty darn close to an affogato Mr. Boot.

Can’t believe only one other person suggest the Starbucks via packets. Stuff is legit for quick and decent on the go coffee.

Charles Sullivan and wadin' boot like this.
  5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

what I do is take along a old stove top percolator coffee pot , fill it with river water ,put coffee in the filter basket, and place it on my older than dirt Optimus 8R hunter white gas stove. in a few minuets I have coffee brewing on my tailgate or on the deck of my pontoon boat.

6. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

I see you and @troutpocket roast your own beans. Very curious about your source of beans and how you roast them (Rod uses a popcorn popper?).

For the OP - when I was in the Navy, four of us rented skis and all the support gear and made our way to Gotemba in the Japan Alps. A really cool place with deep powder snow. One night after skiing, I ordered coffee from the bar. Watched the bartender grind beans, put them into a press and pour boiling water in. I could smell the beans exploding. That was the best cup of coffee ever. Sure beat the heck out of the stuff on the USS Hector. I have a French press and a Nespresso, love 'em both. The Nespresso won't work well riverside.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  7. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

@Buzzy you have mail.

Buzzy likes this.
  8. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Hey, we all want your roasting info! :D

9. Mike22

Mike22 Active Member

And now that the coffee connoisseurs have been awoken, anyone want to weigh in on aeropress v. pour over? I'm bored with my french press and want to know which direction I should go.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  10. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Here you go

Sweet Maria's produces several videos for those that are interested. A $40 investment gets you a popper and selection of beans.

thatguyryry, Buzzy and mtskibum16 like this.
  11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Thanks for dragging me down a new rabbit hole! Like I needed to spend the day researching DIY coffee roasting! haha Wondering if my Stir Crazy popper would work. Back to YouTube!

Ron McNeal and troutpocket like this.
  12. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

Whoa there big fella! Coffee should never burn your lips...it makes it too painful to chug it down.

With all these stream side coffee machinations going on it's easy to see why not many fish get caught - not enough daylight left!

13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

One (or 2 max) cup in the morning. I'd rather fish than pee.

14. Elliott5400

Elliott5400 Active Member

I never have gotten very fancy with some backcountry brew. I use an MSR pocket rocket to boil up some water and pour a packet of instant coffee in. About a 5min process.

15. Bjorn

Bjorn Active Member

What a thread! 6 pages in 3-4 days? Like many others I enjoy a shore made, or tail gate coffee break. I use a jet boil, roast my own (medium roast) been using same roaster for 20 years.........and a paper cone filter. I just bring along some fine ground coffee in a baggie.
    The simple 25 dollar grinder works best for my needs, years ago we tried a fancy expensive model but it clogged up quickly and was returned equally fast.
    A fresh made coffee is a wonderful break from a busy morning or evening and all that catching and releasing!:cool: