Coffee

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Creatch'r, Oct 12, 2017.

1. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

Saw this this a.m. lol
    coffee.jpg

2. Andy D

Andy D Active Member

jake-e-boy likes this.
  3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I use the Nesco roaster. It runs a few batches a day because I roast for home and for the office. It does a very good job. https://morecoffee.com/products/nesco-coffee-roaster.html

I'm friends with the founder/CEO of this company here. So I buy from him. Great selection and free shipping for orders over a certain amount. https://morecoffee.com/

Buzzy likes this.
  4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

French Press for me. It's the nexus of ease, quality, and price.

I've taken these with me fishing/camping before. They aren't the same as a good cup of brewed. But they're far better than any instant I've ever had. Better than most gas station coffee, too.

constructeur likes this.
  5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    French Press is my pinnacle of excellent coffee. But when I make streamside coffee, the Aeropress is tough to beat. I have a metal french press I can take with, but the Aeropress is just too damn easy to clean and use.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  6. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I know a lot of people who love the Aeropress. And for the price, it's worth trying if you like coffee (plus, it's made by the company that makes Aerobie frisbees....weeeee!).

But for whatever reason, I found French Press to be quicker and easier for me and gave my Aeropress to a friend.

7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

+1 here, but you need to watch the fire restrictions after 01 June-most forests go fireless. That GSI drip thing though....I might want to look at it, but then I'd have the weight of the paper filters (and the need to dispose of them in bear country), plus the ground coffee, again, in bear country. I'm talking griz, not these cute little blackies we have around here. Think i'll just stay with instant, the Medaglia d` Oro espresso instant.

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Part of me wants to offer my marketing services to Aeropress. They for whatever reason seem to be perfectly satisfied with their shitty "As seen on TV!" marketing look. It's amazing that the coffee world ever took it seriously.

One of my favorite things I own is my 64oz French Press. So nice to be able to make the equivalent of a full pot of coffee with a press.

mtskibum16 likes this.
  9. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Alex (et al), the Kelly Kettle is a crowd pleaser for sure, especially if you haven't seen one work before. It'll boil water for any purpose in a hurry, in an entertaining way. Truthfully though I don't use it much. I think it's a great tool for survival, like when the "big one" hits and you need to make potable water with limited energy resources. I like coffee but don't typically drink a lot, especially if waders are the attire of the day. In camp most often I use a single burner propane stove and an old percolator. I can "put on the dog" around camp, but when possible I take advantage of restaurants on the way to the lake, stream or golf course.
    Pussy I know. I'm all about EZ.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Hey Creatch'r, regardless which method you use to brew the coffee, don't forget this:
    [​IMG]

Creatch'r and Porter like this.
  11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Yeah their marketing/packaging is really bad. Good product, so I don't know why they think they need to go the as seen on TV route.

Ok, you have me curious about a French press. I've never actually had one. Our old drip coffee maker is due for replacement, and I was thinking about just going with a higher quality electric drip machine, but a bigger French press + thermos/good insulated carafe could be an option.

12. Skip Enge

Skip Enge Active Member

I just eat the roasted beans...

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Here's my main press... It's not 64oz like I thought, but still fills up two 20oz sealed mugs.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005LM0T/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also have this sexy metal one that I like a lot
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G2CCWGY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For home use, you can get a quick water boiler kettle thing (the electric kind...way faster than a stove)... I went a different route and installed instant 200f water straight from the tap :)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AEUSNO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buzzy likes this.
  14. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Thanks for the links. I had thought about doing an instant hot like that even for the Aeropress. I probably would if our main coffee making went to a French Press. Although once you're in to that price range a good electric like a Bonavita, Technivorm, or Behmor is tempting for the convenience. Need to see if the wife is willing to go the French Press route for her daily coffee.

I'm going to pick up an air popper and a sample pack of green coffee and give some roasting a try. How long would you say the fresh roasted beans keep a high quality for if stored right?

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I don't like my roasted beans to be more than 1.5-2wks old at most.