Coldwater Lake Sunrise Trout

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Strike Zone, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Woodcanoeguy

Woodcanoeguy Active Member

Mark......The fish Sunday hit my fly super viscous but didn't fight like they will in a few months....no jumpers. Last fall I had one on a 3 wt fiberglass Scott rod that I never even saw....could not get him up to the surface....finally broke him off trying to horse him up.....suspected he was 20+ inches. My biggest to date is 22". A friend got a 25" fish a few yrs ago.

Denny.......I use a old Hi Laker fiberglass boat up there. Short but wide and very deep hull....can cast standing in ti and a good safe boat for the wind. If going to the far end ,which I seldom do.... I take three batteries and even a spare motor....at my age I don't want to row back in that wind. I have only had one day last year I got blown off the lake....and I made a couple dozen trips. I usually go alone as it is my only time away from work, kids and grandkids by myself. I may just give you a shout someday just the same!

Tight lines......Terry

2. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Woodcanoeguy:
    I hear ya. I usually spend the day up there by myself too. I did take a couple grandsons up there with me last summer when the weather was nice. It was a special day each time we were there. It's a special treat to spend time on that lake. I hope the guided kyak thing that is going to start there this spring will not affect the fishing. I might get a little irritate if I want to put my boat in but can't get to the launch because of a bunch of guided kyaker's have the launch plugged up for an extended time. Time will tell. I know I avoid the place like the plague when the bicycle TourDeBlast is happening each year.
    Denny

3. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

With the three species of trout in the lake I like targeting the sippers over the deep water. these fish have very few spots and very bright, the more colored fish -westside cuts- rainbows?- do not seem to fight as hard. when the water temp got 40 or below they quit sipping for the most part and the fight was not good so I gave it a couple months rest.

while fishing those chrome sippers I also got broke off by one fast running brute. I have never checked for cuts in the throats of these bright very few spots (and just on the top half) to see if they are true rainbows or sea-run cuts but they are by far the fastest running fish I hook up their, and also some of the hardest fighting fish I have ever fished for. being a rainbow guy (because of the fight) it would be nice to know if these are sea runs or rainbows? I will be checking next time I go up, another question would be if the sea-run cuts come up from the creek or just spawn in it and live in the lake year round? since it's was my first year fishing it I don't know that much about the three different species and how they act or keg up for spawning and what time of year they each spawn? I know the rainbows will spawn in the spring but what about the two different species of cuts?

When I targeted the sippers during the winter months it's a fast and furious run to pods of rising fish and it doesn't last very long so I never took time to pump stomachs or look for cuts in the throats, I'm just to busy chasing the pods with the electric- so much fun!!!

last time I fished it, a friend from Idaho went with me and they started sipping for about an hour, I hooked a few and he was amazed how fast these fish ran. slim- long- hard bodied rockets.

I remember the post of the different species and it being mentioned that the "light spotted" fish were sea-run cuts, can anyone confirm? also do these fish migrate to the sea via the out flow creek and into the toutle river? or are they resident and use the creeks to spawn?

SO MUCH TO LEARN!!!

4. Woodcanoeguy

This info below was posted last year. I suspect the outlet creek has too steep of drop for fish to run back up into Coldwater Lake.
    I am sure some WDFW biologist would know for sure.

- The lake was initially stocked with 30,000 under-yearling rainbow trout in 1989, since then, the population has sustained itself naturally.
    - After a survey was taken in 2001, scientist discovered that both westslope and resident coastal cutthroat were present.
    - It was then determined that the westslope’s were inadvertently mixed with the rainbows delivered from the hatchery in 1989.
    - It was also determined that the resident coastal cutthroat that once thrived in North Coldwater Creek in 1979 must have survived the eruption—a truly amazing thing, if I should say so myself.
    - The fish that now inhabit CW are completely self-sustaining and have been since the initial stocking of 1989.

Olive bugger likes this.
  5. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Do you have a link for the Kayak info as well as the bicycle race? I'd like to make sure I'm not up there when some of this happens.

Thanks,
    matthew

Strike Zone likes this.
  6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    "Guided kayaking." Most certainly it'll be a bunch of novices. Or people who only feel safe in groups or with guides. "Tour de Blast?" Yikes!!! I'm a yakker and a cyclist, but I'd avoid either of those clusters!

7. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Matthew&Jim
    I found out the date for the Tour De Blast bike race.. It's June 12th this year. And a number to reach the NW. Eco Excursions out of Longview, Wash is 1 360 442 4833. I am trying to talk with someone there today, but haven't had any luck yet. Hopefully someone will return my call.
    Denny

8. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Matthew&Jim;
    I had a talk with Tracy from NW Eco Excursions in Longview yesterday.. She assured me that the guided kyaking groups would be small in numbers of people and that they would be off to the side of the launch area while giving instructions about kyaking. Also that they would stay far away from any fly fishers that may be using the lake. She also said that they would do whatever they can to not plug up the launch area so that fishermen could launch or take out their boats without having to wait. I sure hope it works out up there. If there are any problems that might arrise we can call her at the number I listed.
    Denny

Matthew Kaphan likes this.
  9. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I have to say in 10 trips I think I saw 1 other fisherman. even during the summer the most boats I ever saw was 4 in one day. Its not like there are camp grounds and tons of people up their! In fact I'm totally shocked at how few use the lake. The lake is 3 1/2 miles long and 1/2 a mile wide in most parts. I don't see a problem at all.

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Thanks Denny. Small groups of yakkers usually don't get in the way or ever seem to create a nusiance, and as a yakker I can say that we usually try to keep off to the side and avoid clogging the ramps. A large group of 'em might take away the feeling of being "away from it all," but a small group is tolerable. Myself, I usually show up alone, wherever I go.

Bike events can be huge, though, and driving past long strings of cyclists is always kind of tense.

11. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Denny,

thanks for making the phone calls. I agree with others that it's a big lake, and as long as they don't clog up the launch it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I fished the lake quite a bit last summer and rarely saw more than a couple of people out there. Usually I had the place to myself, at least on the water. There always seems to be a group or two of people walking along the wooden walkway. I make a concentrated effort to catch a fish when there's people on the walkway in order to complete their Northwest Mountain adventure.

Matthew

12. Woodcanoeguy

Got up to Coldwater this morning. Snow heavy on road last 15 miles but boat launch area was OK. Immediately after I launched I hooked a fish....a real scrapper that kept dogging for the bottom. He felt really stout...... Finally after about 15 minutes my little three wt rod dredged him up and lo and behold it was a cutty about 25 inches long and just beautifully colored. No camera but he was followed by three others all over 23 inches before I even made it out to the Island.........or wait....it Aprils fools today! Guess I was mistaken about those big cutts and it all was just a dream....well that is except for the long snowy drive, three hours of fishing in the snow and just one fish to ahnd! Lake was dead flat calm too.

DSCN3057.jpg DSCN3047.jpg DSCN3048.jpg

13. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

WOW No wind must have been the south wind getting blocked by the ridge? lots of snow still :-0

14. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Woodcanoeguy:
    Boy Oh Boy! You had me all excited for a bit till you said April Fools. I was ready to brave the weather and head up there. Good one! I knew there were a few big ones still in there, but WOW. Anyway, I'm headed to the east side around the 15th or so with the wife to do some fly fishing over there. I'ts supposed to start warming up pretty soon I think. Will let you know how things go. I won't say April Fools though.
    Denny

15. Woodcanoeguy

Denny....We have a club ( Clark Skamania Fly Fishers) event near Soap Lake in MAy....that will be my first fishing trip over to the east side. Let me know how you like it and have a great time....No foolin!