Coldwater Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Strike Zone, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Mark: Thanks for the help at Coldwater I think I'm going to wait 3 more weeks or so to give the lake plenty of time to clear up completely before I head up there with some rookies. I do plan to hit Merwin on Tuesday tho. I'm pretty green when it comes to kokanee's still, but I think it should be good anyway. I think it will just get better up there as the year progresses. So thanks again for the fresh report. I'll let you know how we do when we ever get up there.
    Denny

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  2. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

????

3. Woodcanoeguy

Woodcanoeguy Active Member

Yesterday Coldwater was good to me. Fished from 10:30 to 2:00 to take advantage of the wind. First half hour used usual 20' HD sink tip line with black or green sparse seal-dubbed bugger. No bites….but wind was perfect. Switched to the gaudiest fly I had. A # 4 black headed muddler with orange and tan body, tan, yellow and silver sparkle wing and tail. Used a full type 6 sink line near the bottom and in just a few minutes had a nice fish……16 " rainbow. Another 10 minutes and had a nicer 17.5" cutthroat. Then I caught bottom and lost that fly…my only one. Put on a big sparkly green wooly bugger and caught a few more but all smaller….In one 200 yrd square area I got 6 in a row…..all 12-14". Moved to another spot to try for bigger fish and caught a few more small ones…….I left two other flies on the bottom. Then the wind died about 1 pm…….no further bites so I left at 2pm. Had 13 fish on and 10 to the net. Actually a pretty good 1/2 day of fishing for me.
    I also saw a kid casting a lure in the creek from the walkway way above the boundary marker.

Bartfly likes this.
  4. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Terry: Way to go. Sounds like things are picking up at Coldwater . Great. I hope to maybe get up there next week if the wind doesn't howl. Had a super day at Merwin on the 1st. My partner and I put 24 kokes in the net, released 3 smaller kokes and 3 squaw fish and lost about 15 alongside the boat. Boy it got hot up there in the afternoon.
    Denny

5. Woodcanoeguy

Woodcanoeguy Active Member

I tried again yesterday and it was really foggy till 10:30. Could not see Island from boat launch. I got a few fish ....4 to the boat.....but it was slow. I had to leave at 1 pm. It was quite sunny by then. One guy was trolling a spinner and got a few fish.

6. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Terry: Well at least you you a few. Ya could have been skunked. I have been occasionally up there, but I usually can figure out how to entice a few sometime during the day. I'm headed up there on Saturday. I usually try to stay away on Saturday's, but I am taking a dad and his two teenage sons out for a day of fly fishing. So I hope the fish are cooperative. It's to raise money for the boys and girls to go to summer camps. It's a good cause so what the heck. The bite has been really early at Merwin for kokes so we are going to try to be on the lake before daylight. Merwin has been on fire for me the last two times I've been up there in the early mornings.. We had 40 on the first day, but put in about12 hours, and then this Monday we had 30 plus on in about 5 hours. This kokanee fishing is a kick in the pants.
    Denny

7. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Spent yesterday on Coldwater with three others in the boat. We only saw 2 other boats on the lake all day. We ended up releasing about 20-25 fish, but all were small. 11-13 inches. Mostly caught on dragons down deep or tazmanian devils of various colors down deep. Here are a few.

Strike Zone

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      308.9 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      351.5 KB
      Views: