Coleslaw

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
I made this on our last fishing trip and it was pretty darned good so I thought I'd post it here in case you need a salad to go with your 4th of July BBQ.

1 med. head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 finely chopped shallot
2 carrots, shredded, chopped or julienned
1 c. craisins
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 TBS. apple cider vinegar
1 C. mayonnaise

Combine cabbage, shallot, carrots and craisins in a large serving bowl.
In a small bowl combine salt, dry mustard and vinegar and pour over cabbage mixture. Mix well. Add the mayonnaise and mix again.

Enjoy!

slim

Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!
I've made that one with 1/2 red cabbage, 1/2 regular cabbage and 16oz can of pineapple as well, I like the shallot idea.

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
The cabbage combo sounds good. I'm not a big fan of pineapple but I have also done it with red grapes in place of the craisins.

Mark Walker

Raisins..Pineapple?
Why not add some walnuts and apples too, and we can all sit around with little umbrellas in our cocktails! BLAH!
It's coleslaw.............not fruity salad.:beathead:

Ed Call

Raisins..Pineapple?
Why not add some walnuts and apples too, and we can all sit around with little umbrellas in our cocktails! BLAH!
Here he is ladies and gents, the next coming of Grumpy Mark Walker! Sometimes trying new things leads to liking new things! Bitterroot..now you gotta make that in a few weeks...then again in a few months! You know what I'm talking about.

Since it seems there's a desire to stray from the conventional, here's a favorite I picked up from one of the yiji on my last visit to the "Won Ton Ye Pleasure Palace and Rice Emporium".:rofl:

****Madame Woo's Oriental Idaho Coleslaw****

6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic

5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 cups shredded napa cabbage
2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
2 carrots, julienned
6 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, oil, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic.
2. In a large bowl, mix the green cabbage, red cabbage, napa cabbage, red bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and cilantro. Toss with the peanut butter mixture just before serving.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

If ya find a noodle in it, don't pay for it either!:rofl:

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
WTF is that!!! The Thai/California version of coleslaw? And I didn't say "raisins", I said "craisins"!

Mumbles, I will make the slaw for the upcoming ventures. And Mark ain't gettin' any!:rofl::rofl:

Rob Ast

Raisins..Pineapple?
I'm with Mark on this one, and for me you can also ditch the mayo - I'm much more of a vinegar guy (as you can tell from my sunny disposition)

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
Somebody help me out here! They're ganging up on me!

I like a real vinegary coleslaw as a topping on a sandwich, like pulled pork, but I like the mayo version as a side salad. And I'll add fruit if I damned well please!:rofl:

Somebody help me out here! They're ganging up on me!

I like a real vinegary coleslaw as a topping on a sandwich, like pulled pork, but I like the mayo version as a side salad. And I'll add fruit if I damned well please!:rofl:
Do you eat that with your little pinkie finger stickin' out and a chilled glass of chablis?:rofl::rofl::rofl: