Collateral Damage!

Discussion in 'Conservation' started by Klickrolf, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Something most of you have never seen or heard about in the daily news, wherever you get it. It's about peoples lives. This is real and as these families suffer, those in other developing countries are doing much better because they are burning more coal. This is a travesty and food stamps won't fix it. Don't miss this video.

https://info.mrc.org/collateral-damage

This a fund raiser and I think it's a worthy fund raiser. Your choice. It's about peoples lives.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/11/30/the-ninth-first-climate-refugees/

http://www.climatedepot.com/2016/12...elke-jr-my-unhappy-life-as-a-climate-heretic/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

Collateral damage indeed. Thanks for posting.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Usually there are two sides to a story. This video reminds me of the ESA listing of the spotted owl and its effect on the PNW timber industry. There's little doubt that the spotted owl caused some of the reduction in timber harvest and a loss of jobs. But the spotted owl also made a handy scapegoat for two other contributing factors, the vast liquidation of the remaining old growth and increasing automation in harvesting. Independent of the spottled owl, there was no where for the industry to go but for decreased harvest and decreased timber jobs.

Clean air regulations are likely contributors to declining use of coal. (BTW, who prefers dirty air?) But I keep reading about coal now being expensive compared to other energy fuel sources, natural gas, in particular. Since the video appears to have a strong negative bias against Obama and anything left of Attila the Hun, I can't sort out how much each of the factors affect what is happening in the coal industry. Further, China seems to want to buy US coal, given all the coal trains I see heading to Puget Sound and Georgia Strait ports, why isn't Virginia coal being exported?

River Pig and cabezon like this.
  4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

If your job is to exploit a natural resource, maybe don't let your kids follow in your footsteps.

The days of taking resources WITHOUT the paying for them are coming to a end. No more free rides kiddies. We have filled this park and it isn't going to hold any more.

The writing has been on the wall for decades. Some just refuse to or can't read it. Coal production in the US has been on the rise for 50 years. 1960's=400,000,000. Today 1,100,000,000.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ame...-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=cAzSlOoT1PKdeM:&xxri=1

So why are these areas complaining? Maybe it's because they can't compete, I don't pretend to know. But one thing is for sure. We need to wake up to the new reality. Life costs.

It's no longer going to be enough to harvest resources and take the money. We have to pay for the cost to future generations for them. Ex; the cost of lumber must include sustaining the ecosystem they come from. The cost of coal should include rehabbing the site completely, cleaning up the power plants so the kids living down wind don't get emphysema.

I know. Sounds like a bunch of left wing bull. But really? Can we just go on living like there's no tomorrow? What happens when there isn't?

I know I live way to comfortable to cast blame. My ONLY excuse/comfort. I don't have kids to pass the bill too.

5. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

The point to me here is not about the coal, which we all know will eventually go, but the plight of the families and an economy leaving fewer opportunities for employment. It's this and other ignored segments of the population that have recently made a big statement.

Alex MacDonald and Klickrolf like this.
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Last time I checked, the Hampton Roads area lead the nation in coal exports by a significant margin. I lived in Norfolk for a time, and there are several huge coal export terminals that feed a steady stream of bulk ore carriers . There's something like 800 ships a year on average that load coal at the 3 big terminals in the region, which dwarfs exports on the West Coast.

I didn't watch the video linked in the first post--does it claim that Appalachian coal is not being exported or something like that?

7. suckegg

suckegg Active Member