Colorado Trip Report: The Uncompahgre

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by David Holmes, Jun 8, 2006.

1. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Home Page:
    Our final day of fishing was on the Uncompahgre River, specifically at the Pa-co-chu-puk park just below the Ridgeway Reservoir. The locals call this the "Jurassic Park" because of the large broodstock rainbows they stock there. The Colorado dept. of fish and wildlife determined that the river below the res. was too fast to support good fish habitat, so they spent $200K adding structure to the river to slow it down. That's some serious fishery management right there. The river had an eerie "wild yet synthetic" feel to it.

We fished from the cold morning hours until around 11, when it was starting to get pretty warm. We hooked no fish, though I managed to raise some smaller ones to my EHC and humpies. We had started out nymphing but I changed after a couple of fish tried to eat my indicator. :)

We had the river to ourselves all morning (it was Monday) but about 10am a young girl in a hat approached us and said she was doing a creel check and a short survey. We had to report that we had caught no fish. She asked us what we thought of this section of water. I said it was great - just beautiful! Actually, she was so cute that if we had been standing in a slap heap looking down at a tailings pond I would have answered the same way :)

Since we caught no fish, I'm including pictures of the creel check girl and some of the more interesting rock placements I fished behind.

Attached Files:

2. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Those fish need to feed a bit but other than that nice catch.

3. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

So, capm, who took the picture of you standing next to the creel check girl...?:rofl: