Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cotter pin shanks

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Stonefish 
#1 ·
For those using cotter pin shanks, what sizes are you tying them on? I just got a huge box set of probably a couple thousand from very small way up to 2 1/2" in length. I was noting someone tying some mini-intruders and I had thought that would be cool on some of the smaller ones. What if anything could/should be tied on the larger ones? Thanks for the input, and who might want to trade a cool tying material or tube material that I might not have and I can trade you some of these cotter pins for using like shanks.

#3 ·
#6 ·
I'll try to post a photo of the various sizes and a ruler for scale. Maybe tonight at home if I can every get away from work.

#7 ·
I've been wondering about these for a while trying to understand why everyone wants to use them over waddington shanks ??

I see that they are zinc plated . Not a good moisture inhibiter , meaning they would rust quickly if not properly dried .
Also , what is the price of them ?? I know Waddington shanks are $6.50 for 25 at RedShed and other fly shops , that's $0.26 each ..... Are they much less than that ??
Is it the fact that the Waddington has an up/down eye , depending on which way it is tied ?? Cotter pins are straight looped .

Not trying to put anyone's ideas down , just really curious ....

Mike

#8 ·
Stainless, although some are zinc plated, the ones I came across are stainless. They likely will hold up well.

1000 for under $10. That is right at $0.01 each. They may be an inferior product. I have not been totally pleased with my ability to hold them while tying, a couple of things work but I'm working on making that process better. I like the varied lengths and diameters available in this package that I found. That can help me vary size and weight of patterns. I'm not expecting my flies to last a lifetime, otherwise investing an extra $0.25 per fly would be the way to go. I'm thinking they might serve me well for both freshwater and saltwater applications. I got the idea from other waddington threads here and thought I would kick the tires. I've got enough of these things to tie for years, but had I purchased waddingtons I would have spent $260 on waddingtons (1000/25=40X$6.50=$260) versus $10. Much easier to tie flies and buy groceries, just a poor man's idea that I'll try to make work.

#9 ·
Stainless cotter pins are about .19-.30 apiece.

Arguments for them include (in my experience): Inexpensive, very stiff, rounded profile, large eye, comparatively heavy, widely available.

Arguments against (again, in my experience): Half-round "eye" prone to cutting anything less than 17lb test easily, large diameter of "eye" precludes the use of small knots, poor quality control leads to imperfections and variations batch-to-batch.

The solution?

Clipped Mustad stainless 34011 sz1. Arguably the shittiest hook made, suitable only for clipping. At .16/per, the best and easiest way to go...once again, in my experience.

If you still wanna do the cotters, here's a pic.

Attachments

#11 ·
I guess I got a hell of a deal price wise, even if they are garbage. Speaking of those shittiest hooks ever, I bought a bunch, two or three volume packs for about $0.06 per a while back. Maybe I'll just use them until they are gone. I thought the cotterpin shanks would give me better size/weight variation, which is why I got them and why I'll use them. Maybe after I lose the fish of a lifetime I'll rethink my position. Mumbles is a fool.

#14 ·
I got my 1000 stainless ones for 2cents each several years back. They work great. I've never cut a line on the sharp end, but I articulate with firewire which doesn't cut easily. I've pulled in countless salmon and steelhead on the MOALS and loop leeches I tie with them. Frankly, with the number of flies I go through I wouldn't be able to afford Waddington's.

#20 ·
Eric, if you have purchased these shafts in the past, can you tell us how many are in each pack? I did not see a quantity per pack listed on your page link or in my cabela's catalog. Thanks.

#25 ·
Thanks Eric, a hundred pack is a pretty good deal compared to the waddingtons (not bashing waddingtons you waddington faithful, just saving money on flies for better reels and rods...it adds up).

Joe, great point about putting it in the tube attachment. I will try that with my Nor-Vise tube attachments for the cotter pins. They don't "hold" in the jaws as well as I'd like. If I can't get happy with the pins I'll seek out some of Eric's suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.