Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Could Be Fishing Related - Sea Lion

Tags
fishing sea
2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
#4 ·
before the national Marine Mammal Protection Act was passed, we never had this problem, lots of fish-including salmon-and these bastards didn't haul themselves out boats tied up in the Monterey Marina in such numbers they SINK them! Back then, fishermen shot them, the white shark population was in check, and they weren't the nuisance they've become now. I remember plenty of grunion (we called them "smelts") flashing in the waves, and stripers plentiful enough that even I hooked one as a kid. All gone now.

the guy in the video says "I guess he doesn't care if his boat sinks". Problem is, it's a felony to harass them, as in "chase them off your boat"
From NOAA's website:
violating the Marine Mammal Protection Act, civil or criminal penalties could include:
  • Civil penalties up to $11,000
  • Up to 1 year in prison plus criminal fines
  • Forfeiture of the vessel involved, including penalties for that vessel up to $25,000

#5 ·
before the national Marine Mammal Protection Act was passed, we never had this problem, lots of fish-including salmon-and these bastards didn't haul themselves out boats tied up in the Monterey Marina in such numbers they SINK them! Back then, fishermen shot them, the white shark population was in check, and they weren't the nuisance they've become now. I remember plenty of grunion (we called them "smelts") flashing in the waves, and stripers plentiful enough that even I hooked one as a kid. All gone now.

the guy in the video says "I guess he doesn't care if his boat sinks". Problem is, it's a felony to harass them, as in "chase them off your boat"
From NOAA's website:
violating the Marine Mammal Protection Act, civil or criminal penalties could include:
  • Civil penalties up to $11,000
  • Up to 1 year in prison plus criminal fines
  • Forfeiture of the vessel involved, including penalties for that vessel up to $25,000
Have you run across any reports of someone getting arrested for chasing them off his boat? Without a shotgun, I mean.

#10 ·
Relating this back to fishing... These things are a real danger to Columbia River fish stocks, especially in the lower river tributaries. They're being found way, way up in many of the tribs. Like, above what many would think would be "impassable" rapids. They're just gorging on spawning steelhead in some areas. They're starting to figure out the easy places to get them.

#25 ·
I have seen it suggested that the sea lions have moved northward along the Pacific Coast, partly in response to ocean condition changes, and changes in the availability and abundance of their accustomed forage. Much of this has to do with warmer water and ocean current cycling that affects ocean upwelling, plankton distribution, and where bait species and their predators congregate. Perhaps some of this can be related to the Pacific Decadal Oscillations.

And as more sea lions have become more successful at finding a food supply in a given area, of course they will reproduce at a higher rate, and move into that niche. Dams and fish ladders are a big piece of the problem.

#26 ·
I almost witnessed round 2 of this out in Neah Bay this past weekend, it would have been much uglier if the sea lion had made contact. I pulled my boat up to the cleaning station and was filleting my fish from the day. There were 2 guides boats tied up to the dock and a the guides were cleaning their clients fish. One group of clients didn't look very seasoned in the fishing world and they were soaking everything in. Of course, this time of year there are over a hundred sea lions hanging out in and around the marina looking for an easy meal. Last year they were around in May and vanished in June...my guess is they're around for Halibut season. Anyways, the clients were entertained by a large male who was swimming around the cleaning station and causing a commotion. One of them walked over for a closer look with a gallon bag of fresh fillets in his hand. I'm sure you can guess what happened next...The large male got aggressive and jumped out of the water and onto the dock at him and about 6 ft to my right. Haven't seen anyone move that fast in a while. I yelled at the Sea Lion and sprayed him in the face with the hose at the cleaning table, lucky for the client, the sea lion decided to slide back into the water or it could have gotten ugly. Not sure how many of you are familiar with the cleaning station in Neah Bay, but there isn't a ton of room to begin with. Add 10-12 people and a hungry male sea lion and things can get interesting quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.