Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Could ya'll help a Husky?

932 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  earlsmith 
#1 ·
So I'm gonna be going up to the UW this fall and was wondering what kind of fish there were in the area? Is there anything within reasonable distance from the university that would make good day trips. There is, of course, nothing better to do during finals weeks and other rather important times than to catch fish. I consider it essential to any education. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
88 - You'll have tons-o-options from the U. Fishing/Hunting News is easy to find and provides a good starting point at any time of year. If you don't have a float tube, this would broaden your options by a lot (inexpensive & storable in any college housing). I'd also frequent one or two of the better shops nearby for info. From the U, Orvis in Bellevue or Avid in Bothell are exceptionally helpful (nice to talk with).
I'd say you're on the right track..I fished my way through WWU and years later am still holding down a job (fishing as much as ever)..wouldn't change a thing..
:ray1:

#6 ·
How quickly we forget that national title not long ago. And we have the Husky Basketball team, two straight sweet 16's, to keep us busy while the football program gets back on track.

But, as for fishing, just go down to Greenlake and catch rainbows, browns, bass and maybe a tiger musky. Hows that for a cycle.

#7 ·
I'm not familiar with fishing that side of the state, but in response to creekx and Gearhead, I must say that even being from dry side of the mountains I wouldn't cheer for the cougs or the dogs. Boise State Broncs all the way! Hoorah

Sean

#11 ·
"The verdict is out, and Seattle is ranked fourth in Field & Stream Magazine's Top 20 Fishing Cities." at least according to today's Seattle Times in their Outdoor section.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outdoors/2003084044_outn25.html

Rainbow, what kind of fishing are you used to doing, and where are you living now? It kind of depends on what you are used to as to how good the urban fishing oportunities are around here.

#13 ·
salt dog said:
"The verdict is out, and Seattle is ranked fourth in Field & Stream Magazine's Top 20 Fishing Cities." at least according to today's Seattle Times in their Outdoor section.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outdoors/2003084044_outn25.html

Rainbow, what kind of fishing are you used to doing, and where are you living now? It kind of depends on what you are used to as to how good the urban fishing oportunities are around here.
I do have a float tube and have mostly targeted trout for my highschool years. I would love to get into some Sea run cutts though. Are there opprotunities in the Sound (or rivers) in seattle? Heard they can be alot of fun. As for the football, I figure that in the two or three years I'll be there, they have to win at least one game, (maybe even two!) and if they do that, not only will I have something to cheer about I will be very surprised. Go Huskys!

#14 ·
as an alumni of 1989 (yes I'm old), I would have to say you picked a fine institution, lol. I won't get into a fight with the eastsiders, I support All Washington Athletic programs, hows that.....

I would echo the sentiments of picking up the Northwest Fly Fishing issue that gave away most of the urban spots around town. The Ceder is one of the most enjoyable on foot, Find Maple Valley Highway (SR 169) and you sill find the river, it runs it's length on the open waters.

As you get ready for school, or leaving it, post invitations to fish, or to ask for partners to put some time on the water, you might get a few bites =).
rattlesnake lake ( I-90 east to just past North Bend) is a great float tubing lake ( TROLL SLOW) and the scenery for a young man in the summer time, is nice too LOL.

Good Luck... And I hope the wheels you have are dependable enough to get you to some of these places =)
gas or beer, gas or beer, oh yeah there's that eating thing too

I can remeber the days, and my advice to you is date the bartender!!!
Earl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.